Fuel woes

D.A.V_Oil_Brnr

M88 Junky
Reaction score
OK, so I have been off the forums for a while and have slowly been trying to fix a problem with my fuel system. I still do not have fuel sending units due to monetary issues and most likely wont have any for over a year unless someone feels generous.

So, here is my latest frustration :

I have replaced literally EVERYTHING hose related from the engine to the fuel tank (side tank only) and I can not for the life of me get air to stop coming into my fuel lines. I have tightened everything up repeatedly, checked for leaks, EVERYTHING. Yet, I still get air in my lines... Any ideas? I have a fuel filter that is "see through" connected BEFORE my separator filter and I see a lot of air coming in. I go and tighten all my hose clamps and physical threaded fittings and the air seems to lessen but then the next day I go out and its like someone has loosened my fittings...
I'm afraid that if I tighten the fittings any more I will break something... Where in blue blazes is the air coming from and why?

As a recap, all the lines from the side tank are new all the way to the engine.
The fuel filter is new.
The separator filter is new.
The fuel pump is new.
The sending unit inside the tank did not look bad, or rusted, and I could not find any holes in metal lines, and the stock screen piece looked functional.
There is approximately 1/4 tank of fuel in BOTH fuel tanks.

Any ideas...? Please?

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
I did not see any mention of the return lines/o-rings on the injectors, nor did i see anything about the olives being replaced. If not i would attended to them.

Clayton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd say the plastic showerhead pickup is cracked if it's still on there.

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
Hmm, where did the rest of my post go...anyway.

I also had down about adding some more fuel to each tank just to make sure it can pick it up.

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
Ya, just to say waht Clayton said again...on mine i had a problem on the back tank with air. Turns out the pick up was there but all cracked. I had 1/4 tank of fuel and it acted up. Threw in 5 more gallons and it was ok.

Reaction score
What type of pickup tube is on his year of truck? You say that you can see air in your system through your filter, if possable try filling one tank and run your truck. If you dont see any air in the system then I'm thinking a cracked pickup tube (sender). But as Optik stated look at the O-rings and return lines. One more thing but need some one to chime in on this, is it possable to put some thread sealant on your fittings? Need to make sure that it's diesel safe.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does it only do it when your using the front tank??? Recheck the selector valve connections???
Ditto on putting more fuel in.
Check your oil level just in case there is some fuel leaking into the crankcase and somehow getting air in, even with a new pump.

D.A.V_Oil_Brnr

M88 Junky
Reaction score
Next....

Ok here is the photo of my side tank sending unit...

Also, the shower head looked fine and so did the little rubber valve piece when it was apart a while back. the air coming into the system is pre-engine. I have fully replaced just the suction side of the lines from tank to selector valve, and form selector valve to separator filter. Just before the separator filter I have the see-through filter. The air MUST be coming from tank side. If not it's a jedi mind trick...

(and before anyone asks, I put the fuel sending unit back in the tank without the float because the float was cracked and useless. Further, the sending unit pipes are good and not rusted and the problem is the float and ohm resistor are both trash. Can't afford to replace them.)

Attachments

• IMAG0037.jpg
    IMAG0037.jpg
    571.6 KB · Views: 14

D.A.V_Oil_Brnr

M88 Junky
Reaction score
Next....

Ok here is the photo of my side tank sending unit...

Also, the shower head looked fine and so did the little rubber valve piece when it was apart a while back. the air coming into the system is pre-engine. I have fully replaced just the suction side of the lines from tank to selector valve, and form selector valve to separator filter. Just before the separator filter I have the see-through filter. The air MUST be coming from tank side. If not it's a jedi mind trick...

Furthermore, the air is coming from BOTH tanks but its WORSE on the side tank both before and AFTER replacing lines. It's still weird that i tighten the fittings on the fresh lines and the air seems to slow down but then speed up again....

(and before anyone asks, I put the fuel sending unit back in the tank without the float because the float was cracked and useless. Further, the sending unit pipes are good and not rusted and the problem is the float and ohm resistor are both trash. Can't afford to replace them.)

Attachments

• IMAG0037.jpg
    IMAG0037.jpg
    571.6 KB · Views: 5

Clayton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take the pickup off and throw it in the trash and replace it with a piece of fuel rated hose.

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

That should work well for ya. Thats for the rear tank but same principle. BTW, i recieved two pick up assemblies from another memebr and the shower head looked good, upon looking closer it had small cracks in the rubber leading to the metal pick up tube. Just like the one i took out.

stumiister

Diesel Truck Tech
Reaction score
I woud also check the slip on connections at the fuel tank sending unit I have noticed they can suck air, I cut mine off and just put the hose on with a hose clamp with no issuses