Fuel tank selector switch fuse keeps blowing.. hmm?

jam sandwich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a while back I was left stranded by my truck when the tank selector valve failed closed and cut the fuel supply to my 7.3.. I since bypassed the valve completly and I'm running on the front tank directly.
I searched under the dash today only to find out the fuse for the tank selector switch was blown!
I replaced the fuse, and plugged the valve back in to see if it would work, and it just blew the fuse again :confused:

would this mean a stuck or completely failed tank switchover valve? I'm not sure why else it would blow the fuse instantly like that..

edit: heres the link to the previous thread made about the problem:
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=44439

Last edited:

jam sandwich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I dug into this a little deeper and tried to jump pins 1 and 2 with 12 volts, but nothing happened. so I cracked the valve open, did more testing only to find out the solenoid motor did in fact burn out, leaving the valve stuck in a very peculiar spot. Turns out there is a constant 12v to the tank motor always, and when polarity is reversed (switching tanks) the solenoid motor turns the other way opening the other set of tank valves. this would explain having it fail and stick halfway in between the tanks.

Now to find another one of these valves for relatively cheap.

Not sure why that would blow a fuse in the cab though.. im thinking its because i jumped the 2 front tank leads so I can read the front tank fuel level without plugging in the valve.

bigblue85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
u know i had the same problem i was driving and flipped the switch on the fly and my truck died and i sat there cranking it and had to beat on the valve by hand and it finally opend and i can only use the front tank now but if i hit the other tank it totally messes with the truck for days and then comes into it so i just stopped using it temporarily till i get a new valve

bigblue85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yah my trucks been sitting for a while now because of the sending unit and the selector valve being out. after i get the tank dropped tomorrow night im going to take the valve off and get one from oreilleys for 130 bucks which i aint complaining. its hard not having a truck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadScientist

Members online