fuel system

blown84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
today i purchased my first vehicle that doesnt sport a blue oval: an 05 2500. the truck is clean and solid. but its very readily apparent that the fuel system was not cared for. the fuel filter appeared to be the original and was completely black, the high pressure pump is likely on its way out, the #1 injector is dead and two or three others are less that performing. however, the rest of the motor is solid, the oil is clean, and there is ZERO blowby.

SO, im goin to replace the entire fuel system, minus the hard lines and the tank. what is the absolute best bang-for-buck combo out there? i dont wanna get too wild, maybe +20HP injectors, and good quality pressure and transfer pumps. my goal is to keep it under $3500. maybe factory replacement is my best bet, for the price?

condor74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was a Diesel tech at a Dodge Dealership for a long long time until just recently. The high pressure pumps are very reliable and there are many other things that are way more common to go out. You said the number 1 injector is bad. How is it bad? Electrically or mechanically? I believe if you ohm the injector it is .5 to 1 ohms. This is typically not caused by poor fuel maintenance.

blown84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when i say the fuel system wasnt taken care of, i mean the the fuel in the lines was black, the fuel filter was black and actually had small holes in it from not bein replaced, the transfer pump in the tank had gone out, and the tank its self had almost half an inch of dirt in the bottom. SO, i wound up replacing all six boom sticks with brand new, out of the box units, a couple of the injector lines cause they were cracked (??), a brand new high pressure pump, new transfer pump, and completely cleaned and pressure washed the tank out. also got a new crank pos sensor, fuel rail pressure sensor, a couple others i dont remember, and a new fan clutch. also got a superchips flash paq. this truck runs perfectly now, and when i say runs, i mean hauls ass! the tires were bout 60% when i bought the truck. the fronts still are. the rears... umm... i need new ones...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7