Fuel System Rebuild Thread

papastruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most of the parts are in for a timely redo of the fuel system. My water separator is acting up, and while fixing it is one option, it seems to make more sense to move the pump back toward the tank and replace the separator with a new one ahead (flow-wise) of the pump. Mechanical pump will be removed. Starting on the frame rail forward of the fuel selector valve, it looks like this:

WIX-24309 Filter Base/495-33123 Filter/Separator --> Carter GP4070 Electric Pump reviewed here by Mel --> WIX-33811 in stock location --> new Baby Moose --> new reman BB injectors --> new return lines.

Still thinking on exactly how it will be wired. The truck currently has an electric wired to a rocker switch independent from the ignition switch (yes, in conjunction with the mechanical pump), and moving that switch to a well-placed hidden location might be a good idea, rather than just wiring it to the "run" circuit. I'll also wire up an impact switch, and I'm blowing off the recommended oil pressure switch for right now. Left turn, 4 lane divided, kids in the back, lose oil pressure, I'd rather have the extra 40 feet and lose the engine.

It's worth it to search around for prices - they may be better elsewhere, but you can do a lot worse than Summit. Wix also makes a much taller separator that fits that bracket; I just wasn't fond of the idea of it sticking out below the frame on a 4wd. The pie-in-the-sky is to post updates and pics to this thread and hopefully come out of it with a reference for a solid fuel system for not a ton of money.

hahn_rossman

Hahn Rossman
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about an oil pressure switch stalling the engine. The injection pump can pull enough fuel to run. In fact the oil pressure switch may not function as a engine saving device at all, but if you roll the truck it will stop the spray of diesel.

papastruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about an oil pressure switch stalling the engine. The injection pump can pull enough fuel to run. In fact the oil pressure switch may not function as a engine saving device at all, but if you roll the truck it will stop the spray of diesel.

Yeah, I was just reading that they need a minimum pressure and mine idles pretty low. I hadn't thought of the pressure switch that way - it'd be pretty easy to have a rollover without tripping the impact (not that I've done it;Really).

papastruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Started mocking everything up, but I need to make a bracket to mount the separator head above the frame. It didn't stick out too much below the frame, but if the truck were ever to high-center, it be right around that spot. There's a nice spot up behind the transfer case with some skid plate underneath, but as I'm pondering a longer E4OD swap, that'd be problematic. Looks like you can either run the fuel line over the cross members to get to the separator, or put a couple of elbows in. Either way, it's a helluva lot less convoluted than the stock water separator, so it shouldn't adversely affect flow (should it?).

Noob question: is that a fuel line heater leading up to the filter housing? Anyone know how it works, i.e is it on the run circuit, gop circuit, thermostatically controlled, etc.?

Thanks

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I too tired of the OEM fuel delivery system that always seem to develop air leaks.
I dug up some leftover hoses, bought a few fittings and ended fuel delivery issues once and for all, I now can even fill diesel on the road for a stranded motorist if I needed to.

here is a pic where I spent my most time, the feed comes in above the Alternator, the return tees with the injector line return and returns to both tanks.
And the injection pump gets fed with 3/8 feed line
You must be registered for see images

Javier