Fuel System & EGT's

1990350idi

Reaction score
Ok i have turned up my pump 3 flats. Egts max out at about 950 if i stay on it @ 2500-3000rpm. I have very little to no smoke. I dont care much about smoke but i keep reading threads that indicate smoke when the pump was turned up and it made me curious. Could my timing be that far off? Any other ideas?

Hybrid455

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This might be some of it.

If your in Indiana then you don't have a lot of altitude to deal with and you've got more atmospheric pressure to supply enough air to the combustion chamber and complete the burn of the added fuel.
When I lived in Texas about 800 ft above sea level and had the pump turned up 2 flats it didn't really smoke much under normal conditions. When I moved back to NM and 7000 ft the ol gal would kill some mosquitoes in a hurry. I put a turbo on it and wala, enough air for the burn, very little smoke and lots of power.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How many miles are on your IP? Could just be getting worn out. :dunno

1990350idi

Reaction score
As for the injection pump i dont really know. I assume it is original and the truck has just over 109,000. What i dont understand is that if the injection pump is going bad why are egt's so high? Wouldnt that indicate it is getting enough fuel?

IH_444

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wouldnt that indicate it is getting enough fuel?
It should. I would say your air filter is plugged, since lack of air = higher EGT. But if that were the case it should smoke more.

1990350idi

Reaction score
Nope, air filter is brand new. no soup bowl and homemade cold air intake. It actually dropped egts 100-200 degrees. :dunno

1990350idi

Reaction score
Considering its below freezing and i'm not pulling a trailer or anything, yea i think it is a little. By the time summer gets here and i start pulling trailers loaded down with hay that number will increase dramaticly.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Considering its below freezing and i'm not pulling a trailer or anything, yea i think it is a little. By the time summer gets here and i start pulling trailers loaded down with hay that number will increase dramaticly.[/QUOTE/]

i dont think thats hot at all,