Fuel system cleaner

turbo elk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have noticed auto part stores have what is called fuel system cleaner for diesel trucks, what is the general consensus here on if this is a good / bad idea,
I have no doubt that it would be an understatment that carrying a COUPLE extra fuel filters would be a good idea.
Not interested in doing this unless the pro side has a compelling argument for doing it.

ToughOldFord

The Cold Glow-Plug
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with diesel fuel additives, in fact with the crap fuel they have today it's a good idea to protect your IP and injectors. I primarily use Diesel Kleen, but Lucas & Howels are good products too. I'm sure there are some others.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The cheapest cleaner is atf but.. Why are you thinking your system needs a cleaning. Have yo ran some wvo and think your system is needing a cleaning. Usually vege oil will clean the lines very well but it can leave behind a waxie mess if its not filtered correctly. But using most any diesel fuel additive will clean the tanks, lines and the injection system. Use 2 or 3 times what the bottle tells you for a better cleaning. Or if its time to replace the fuel filter just fill the new filter with additive or atf. If you choose atf restart the engine and listen for the engine running sound to change. Then shut down the engine and let it sit overnight. Run it ruff the next morning like you hate the truck. Thats the cheapest way to clean the filter to injection pump and the pump plus all the injectors and hard lines. Please use caution when pouring anything into a new filter. Do not allow any fluid to enter the center large hole but pour it into the outer ring of holes. that way the filter is actually filtering the fluids. Any dirt or foreign material entering the center hole in the filter ends up in the injection pump. We do have another screen in the inlet but why use it.

Reaction score
It's definitely overkill, but I use diesel additive every time I fill up. I don't do it so much to clean the fuel system as I do to keep everything nice and lubricated. It's my understanding (though I am new to diesels still) that ULSD essentially stripped diesel fuel of a lot of the goodies that used to keep all our moving injection parts lubed and that the additives help replace that. I used to run PS Diesel Kleen because it's what's most common around me, but after reading a lot of positive reviews about the Stanadybe family of additives, I decided to try their Performance formula. I bought an entire case off Amazon. It may just be in my head, but the Stanadyne stuff seems to make everything run a lot quieter, which I interpret as everything being that much more lubed. Or not. I dunno. But hey, if they built the IP, you figure they probably know a thing or two about keeping it happy.

I also keep a spare fuel filter rolling around the back just in case, though I have yet to need it (knock on wood)

Mike

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I run Stanadyne Proformance formula at 4 oz in every tank fill up. I feel comfortable doing that.

theguruat12

Certified Tinkerer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I run Stanadyne like icanfixall, every tank. In addition, when I change filters, I fill the new one up with Diesel Kleen. It makes me feel like I'm cleaning the injectors and pump out a bit, so I'm happy LOL

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if you are talking about an each tank additive or a independent system cleaning operation? If you are talking tank by tank additive, then I would suggest Stanadyne fuel additive.

If you are talking a system wide cleaning, I'd suggest a search for Lubri Molly Diesel Purge, and actually search here for my Tech 101 diesel purge to show you how to effectively do a full system cleaning!

JM2CW

Al

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
What Roitwarrior posted about the diesel purge is a great video. It shows the supply flow is much less that the return flow. Plus it cleaned a dirty pump and injectors too. Really an interesting show too...:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Wellused

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Read the label and be sure to NOT purchase a product containing MMT which is powdered Magnesium.It has a surface that is designed to "sandblast/etch" things clean.New fuel filter BEFORE running it,as the rough structure of the MMT will drag dirt out of the filter and put it in your inj pump and injectors.Also be aware that the pintle in the inj will now be running in a film of abrasive.

turbo elk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not really considering using the stuff, like I stated originally...( it's more of a tank and system cleaner ) but was mostly wondering the why?... are our systems that dirty from diesel fuel?
And because I see a lot of threads on fuel tank / delivery problems.
I use injector cleaner with atf in all fill ups.. power service...
the stuff I'm referring to is made by power service white jug green writing on the label... just was curious Cuz I've never seen it before this winter.

Is it "snake oil" or sometimes needed?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Out here on the west coast every diesel pump has a filter on it. the fuel has to pass thru that filter to reach our tanks. Now how often its changed and is there really a filter in there... I don't know but I maintain my fuel systems with fuel treatments on my own.

ammocan

Reaction score
Fuel system cleaner and injector cleaner is the same stuff. The difference is only in each brands formulation. I was turned on to fuel system cleaners when I had a 79 f350 with a 460 in it. The truck sat for 8 years with bad gas when I bought it. I was able to get it running but it ran rough and horribly bad gas mileage even for a 460. I ran a tank of sea foam through it and in only a few miles it ran like a dream and fuel economy sky rocketed( again that is relative to the fact it was a 460). Throttle response was sharp and overall the truck immediately seemed healthy. Since then I have been a believer is fuel system treatments. For diesels I would not recommend sea foam simply because it is a harsh additive that cleans like crazy but will strip lubricants from the inside of your system and that is opposite of what you want for your IDI. I would recommend lucas fuel additive or diesel klean and both add the wanted lube to the inner workings of your engine.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Just try a quart of atf in the next fillup. Its cheap and easy to do. It can't hurt a thing too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online