Fuel Switch valve

ulmapache

Reaction score
So...can anyone here tell me why this FSV costs $500+ and all the others cost $69.99?

You must be registered for see images attach

Exhumis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do you do it just plumb both tanks togther?
No. Gravity, pressure differential and other issues will prohibit. Plus you'd have to pump from one to the other which is kinda what happens when the selector valve goes **** up.
Here's a couple rewrite ups. I'll prolly go with the kit from CDD:
http://www.rosewooddieselshop.com/DZLJIM/Ford/38gallonOBStank.htm
https://www.oilburners.net/threads/38-gallon-fuel-tank-conversion-woes.84577/
https://classicdieseldesigns.com/co...co-tank-conversion-kit?variant=31725447905359

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I have always wondered why Ford and GM (don't know about Dodge) went with 2 tanks... I know that you could get 2 tanks in the Dentside (73-79), starting will the Bullnose in (80-86), Bricknose (87-91) and OBS (92-97) Trucks, and the Dentside Vans (74-91) seemed like all of them had 2 tanks. Then in 92 Van, 97 F-150 and 99 F-2/350 redesign, they went back to one big tank.... Most of the dual tank setups were ~40 gallons..... and they went upper 20's to as big as a 44 gallon tank on the Excursion.

I know the spare tire is under the rear of the trucks (under the rear tank on the dual tank trucks) but don't see why they didn't go above 18ish gallons on the front (mid-ship) tank... The newer single tank trucks, they are all a midship tank. The standard tank on the 150's is 26 gallons, with an "extended range" tank that is 36 gallons... I know the Superduty tanks are in the 30 range.... so the placement of the tank can't be the only reason. The spare is still all the way in the back, between the axle and bumper..... The odd one is the 44 gallon Excursion tank, it is all the way at the back, between the axle and bumper, but the spare stores inside like a station wagon...... never really understood the dual tank thing with all the added complexity, and problems it brought along. I think everyone that's had an FSV has had trouble with it at one point. Age doesn't really seem to be part of it, because we had trouble with the FSV on our 83 F-150 in the early 90's.......

Exhumis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have always wondered why Ford and GM (don't know about Dodge) went with 2 tanks... I know that you could get 2 tanks in the Dentside (73-79), starting will the Bullnose in (80-86), Bricknose (87-91) and OBS (92-97) Trucks, and the Dentside Vans (74-91) seemed like all of them had 2 tanks. Then in 92 Van, 97 F-150 and 99 F-2/350 redesign, they went back to one big tank.... Most of the dual tank setups were ~40 gallons..... and they went upper 20's to as big as a 44 gallon tank on the Excursion.

I know the spare tire is under the rear of the trucks (under the rear tank on the dual tank trucks) but don't see why they didn't go above 18ish gallons on the front (mid-ship) tank... The newer single tank trucks, they are all a midship tank. The standard tank on the 150's is 26 gallons, with an "extended range" tank that is 36 gallons... I know the Superduty tanks are in the 30 range.... so the placement of the tank can't be the only reason. The spare is still all the way in the back, between the axle and bumper..... The odd one is the 44 gallon Excursion tank, it is all the way at the back, between the axle and bumper, but the spare stores inside like a station wagon...... never really understood the dual tank thing with all the added complexity, and problems it brought along. I think everyone that's had an FSV has had trouble with it at one point. Age doesn't really seem to be part of it, because we had trouble with the FSV on our 83 F-150 in the early 90's.......
Yeah I mean it's cool, and I guess you've got a backup in case one tanks gear goes south, but realistically IMO it's dumb. Just gimme one big ass tank.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fragments of a deteriorated showerhead can cause various problems with the selector valve.

ulmapache

Reaction score
And even Pollak and SMP say their FSV will work...but they do not look like this....the lines are reversed, and the mounting points don't match up...this isn't even proprietary BS...Pigtail orientation doesn't matter, nor whether its a blade type or bullet type...adapters are available...usually with the FSV... I suppose I could fabricate something to mount the Pollak...and drill out the rivits, reorient the fuel lines...and glue/screw the thing back together...or maybe mount the thing upside down so the fuel lines are properly oriented instead of taking it apart...

Scotty4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My selector switch is out too. If is such a big issue why doesn’t everyone switch to two tank selectors instead? Ones that are more dependable.

https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/produ...BZiYyH42h6obkUL2bSt69lVi8qWxxAoYaAlF8EALw_wcB

Or replace these terrible ones with a 3 way ASCO Red Hat (expensive) that would last a lifetime?

Aside from manual valves, there must be some clever way to get around the pollak/fomoco replacements which have a high fail rate.

Matt Leaman

Reaction score
i did go with a generic replacement valve, which i may regret later, but, just to save anyone the trouble if they go that route too, i broke my first one with less than 80 miles on it, because i had to relocate where i mounted the valve, and was not careful enough when trying to reinstall the fuel tank shield.

a 2 tank system makes sense to me, for many months of the year i may very well want #1 diesel in one tank and #2 in the other. it doesnt bother me that they made it such.

rwk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put a boat 6 way valve in mine, lot of work, manual lever is under the seat. It will select front, rear or off.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7