Fuel Sending Unit O-Ring

WrecklesCustom

First Timer
Reaction score
I replaced both of the floats yesterday (both were FULL of diesel). I put the lock ring back on both of them and started home.

I made a stop at the auto parts store to get a fuel filter (before fuel electronic fuel pump) walked out of the store and noticed a puddle of diesel under my rear end. I crawled under and noticed it was seeping out of the sending unit "ring" (I just filled up with fuel 15 miles ago).

So, long story short, does anyone know where I can get an O-ring for the sending unit, I am guessing it broke during the float switch out? I know LMC truck has it but it is $7 shipping on a $1.39 part.

Thanks!

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Autozone has a kit if I remember right. I bought one from them but havent used it.

My front tank has always sealed without one, its the rear one that gives all the trouble.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any hydraulic or cylinder repair house should have lots of o-rings, provided you have a sample to hand them.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i have a few used ones here. if you want to get a new one, come get one of the used ones a get it matched up.

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
i just put a bunch of gasket maker around mine, i bought a new lock ring and it didnt have the oring or something like that happend. but mine is leak free. i think i got the lock ring at advanced auto.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Swap-meets are loaded with bunches of brand-new, still in the box, stuff from flooded parts-stores after the New Orleans typhoon.

I found a bunch of the toothed metal retainer rings PLUS O-rings in HELP packages.

These were labeled "FORD", so I got a bunch at a ridiculously low price, figuring they would probably be close, but not close enough.

When my front tank started pouring a leak, I remembered my swap-meet purchases, and believe it or not, a perfect fit.

I will try to remember to get the part-number straight from the package some time tomorrow.

On my chassis-cab ton, only the forward tank is metal; the rear is factory-original plastic, and has a completely different set-up.

The plastic tank has a threaded collar, exactly like an open-center canning-lid ring, except plastic and of some weird thread that nothing else on earth matches.

This plastic ring has been broken for many years and sealed with RTV and a band-clamp holding the ring together; this fix has never leaked.;Sweet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin