fuel selector valve delete?

PapaJammie

Reaction score
Hello all,

bought my 1988 F-350 Crew Cab with ATS turbo kit from my father in law about a year ago, and have run into a few significant problems since then. the C-6 transmission failed on the truck about a week after i had bought it, and the truck has been sitting in my driveway since then while i gather the parts for a ZF-5 swap. (all i have left to find is the pedals at this point) Anyway, ive noticed that the fuel gauge stays above full all the time no matter which position the tank selector switch is in, (i know the tanks are not full) and i can not hear the valve switching when i move the switch, so i'm going to assume that the valve is broken. i have no idea which tank it is pulling fuel from, and i have no way of knowing my fuel level. My question is- is there any way to delete the fuel selector valve and somehow hook the tanks together so that I could essentially "combine" them into one tank? i have seen the manual selector valves in the tech section but i do not like the way that is set up. i could always just run one bigger fuel tank, but im trying to spend as little money as possible. also, does anyone know why my gauge would be reading full all the time? is that a problem with the selector valve or with the sending units?

thank you

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
cannot run 2 tanks together. the return is the issue, it will feed 1 tank more than the other.
I used a 89 F350 CC LB rear tank, 33 gallon tank.
deleted the FSV. and never looked back.

the issue with the fuel gauge is a ground issue somewhere. coud very well be the FSV.
I always advise to delete it.

38 gallon bronco tanks are only 100$ on e-bay

I have a set of pedals, that you need to do a heim joint mod on your clutch master. 85 shipped.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have two 19 gallon tanks on my 88 cc lb truck with the same fuel guage issue just mine fluctuates a lot but anything more than like 2 gallons in the tank pegs it full on both tanks. I can't hear mine switch between tanks but I know it works because I use both tanks. I only know it's almost empty because my guage bounces everywhere before it's dry

PapaJammie

Reaction score
38 gallon bronco tanks are only 100$ on e-bay.

the only bronco tanks i see on ebay are 33 gallons. is this what you are referring to? is this a direct swap or is some fabrication involved? Also, can i re-use the sending unit out of my current tank or would i have to get one for a bronco?

thanks

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the 38 gal tank will bolt up with the included spacers. the 33 gal needs another crossmember installed.

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When the fuel guage pegs past full it means the wire from the gauge is open somewhere, it could be the fsv or the sending unit is wore out.

Here a pic of a good sending unit that's cleaned up
You must be registered for see images attach

And a wore out one that would only work at almost empty and bounce a lot
You must be registered for see images attach

Notice the bare spot that's been rubbed off, common issue up until 90 or 91 when they redesigned it.

To fix this cheap use the same parts from a gasser sending unit be it a new one or from a wreckers.

raydav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My question is- is there any way to delete the fuel selector valve and somehow hook the tanks together so that I could essentially "combine" them into one tank? i have seen the manual selector valves in the tech section but i do not like the way that is set up. i could always just run one bigger fuel tank, but im trying to spend as little money as possible. also, does anyone know why my gauge would be reading full all the time? is that a problem with the selector valve or with the sending units?
thank you

Yes you can combine the tanks. That is the second multi tank/return line system I have used.

I have two E350s. The first has three tanks totaling seventy gallons. It was gas. I had three pumps, each had an internal output check valve. So I ran the pump for whatever tank I wanted to use. I could run the tanks completely dry because a carburetor separates any induced air from the gas. When I went to diesel I switched to a single transfer pump and an electric valve that selects tank two or three to refill the primary tank which supplies the engine. A three position switch selects which tank the fuel gauge reads.

The other van has two thirty plus gallon tanks. The second tank is mounted slightly above the primary. I ran a line between the two drain ports, with a manual valve between them for maintenance. The fuel gauge reads full until the level of the second tank drops below the primary. So "full" is really over full. and empty is really empty.

raydav

Full Access Member
Reaction score

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is the issue with the gas sender? I have three tanks with senders that used to hold gas and now hold diesel.
not really an "issue" but when you delete the in tank pump, the pick up needs to be modified.
the actual sender is not an issue if you match the sender to the tank.