Fuel Pump question(s)

smokinpipes

Navistar Nut
Reaction score
Okay, after getting tired of the airtex mechanical lift pumps crapping out every couple months on me running pure #2, I acquired a used Holley Red pump.
Running #2, it works well enough, I have ~6 PSI at the shrader valve on the fuel filter (pump is mounded on a cross member under the cab just after the fuel selector valve)

However, even in moderate temps 60F-ish, blended 50% ****** soy/canola oil (I have a unique supplier), and 50% #2, my pressure drops to eh, 1-2psi, and if I go above idle, I pull a vacuum on the filter housing...

SO... I want to see what everyone recommends for an electric lift pump. Now it's getting cold out, and I know this sucker isn't going to do squat once the #2 hit 10F.
I'm looking for something with some pumping balls, that won't break the budget, and deliver 7-10PSI.
Thought about the carrier pump, but I'm looking for what everyone else has had experience with.

I also have an 8000 series sureflo pump I had custom built, but, even at 1.8GPM open flow, I pressurize my fuel system to around 28PSI.. that's, a little too high, and without sinking yet another $100 in a quality bypass pressure regulator, I figured I'd see if there was a one stop shop solution for around the same price.

Also, do you think heating it before the fuel pump would a be solution or a bandage?

leswhitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since you aren't blending gas into your mix, I think heating before the pump would be a solution. Actually, I think heating the tank itself would be your best bet, then your WVO will always be at summer temps.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Let me know if you find something, my electric Airtex, Holley blue and carter pumps could not keep up with strong mixes. The best I have found is the stock lift pump carter brand. They sell them at pep boys.

Otherwise I think you are looking at a turbowex or breaking down and getting a regulator for yours. I have a carter pushing to the stock lift pump to keep my engine fed for now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle