Fuel Problem

TMACK0034

Reaction score
I have a 94 f250 that originally had the powerstroke and the person I bought it from had put the 7.3 idi in it. I have wired it up and it turns over fine but I'm not getting fuel to the engine. I've taken the incoming fuel line to the fuel pump off and put it directly into a gas tank and it doesn't pull enough to even get it to the pump. It lifts a little then goes back down. Does anybody have any ideas as to what is the problem?

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. What level of fuel is in the tanks. If your around 1/4 you probably have the broken suction heads. We call them shower heads because they look like that. When the suction head breaks off the tank can't be used below 1/4 tank because thats where the suction line is now. Its about 3 inches off the bottom of the tank. So you have a 94 powerstroke truck that someone installed the idi engine in. Interesting...If you can draw fuel to the lift pump on the side of the engine you may have a line plugged up. Might check the line under the engine for crushed areas too seeing the engine was changed. Things happen sometimes.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 94 f250 that originally had the powerstroke and the person I bought it from had put the 7.3 idi in it. I have wired it up and it turns over fine but I'm not getting fuel to the engine. I've taken the incoming fuel line to the fuel pump off and put it directly into a gas tank and it doesn't pull enough to even get it to the pump. It lifts a little then goes back down. Does anybody have any ideas as to what is the problem?

First welcome to Oilburners, please look thoroughly in FAQ and Tech sections for answers as well as search.

Lets look at this shall we, first what incoming line off what fuel pump are you referring too? Do the tank/s have fuel past 1/4 tank level?

Please provide as much detail as to what you are doing and what is going on.

Again welcome

Al

TMACK0034

Reaction score
I have checked the fuel lines and they don't seem crushed anywhere and the fuel level is probably below that so I'll check that tomorrow. I'm talking about the line coming into the fuel pump from the fuel tank selector.
Actually I bought the truck with the engine out. The person said he bought truck and the powerstroke wasn't starting so he took it out and sold and got the 93 idi from a friend. So it was what I got and wasn't a bad deal for $550 until I ran into this problem. Thanks for the help guys

finitetime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've taken the incoming fuel line to the fuel pump off and put it directly into a gas tank and it doesn't pull enough to even get it to the pump.

Sounds like a bad fuel pump. If you've take a straight hose that has no kinks or blockages and run it into a tank of fuel. You don't say if its one on the truck or a separate one on the ground? And your cant pump fuel with it then you need a pump.

Cut a small length of hose and run it to a one gallon can just under the truck. You can even use some cheap clear vinyl hose from our local hardware store so you can see whats going on and see if it will pump fuel like that. Take the line loose from the filter at the so all you have is a pump and fuel.

Hose should cost a couple of dollars so its not an expensive test or just some extra fuel line if you have it.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have checked the fuel lines and they don't seem crushed anywhere and the fuel level is probably below that so I'll check that tomorrow. I'm talking about the line coming into the fuel pump from the fuel tank selector.
Actually I bought the truck with the engine out. The person said he bought truck and the powerstroke wasn't starting so he took it out and sold and got the 93 idi from a friend. So it was what I got and wasn't a bad deal for $550 until I ran into this problem. Thanks for the help guys

WHAT FUEL PUMP are you referring to PLEASE be specific as mentioned. You need to provide us as much detail as possible.

WHAT FUEL LINE we need to know if this is STOCK line or some kind of pieced together setup.

We don't know if it's a stock lift pump, and electric lift pump, or the Injection PUMP or what pump you are referring to.

You painting the pictures in as much detail with descriptions of what is what is really the key.

Seeing as you are working on merging to different packages together, we are blind in this.

JM2CW

Al

TMACK0034

Reaction score
Sorry my bad I have a new mechanical fuel pump and I pulled stock fuel lines from a truck at a salvage yard. I blew them out before I put them on so they were clear of any debris. I have some clear vinyl hose that I hooked up to the the mechanical fuel pump where the incoming fuel line from the tanks goes and stuck the other end in a 5 gallon gas tank and it doesn't pull the fuel enough to get it to the fuel pump itself. Sorry about not being specific.

finitetime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure it has a tight connection where the fuel goes into the pump or it could be sucking air instead.

I would disconnect the other side of the pump actually and just see if it will lift fuel pump it through the pump.
a can, hose, and pump will eliminate everything but the pump.

Not sure how these pumps are at dead lifting fuel a few feet from ground? Maybe somebody else has had some experience will speak up.

TMACK0034

Reaction score
I screwed the hose clamp as tight as I could get it without breaking it so I believe it is tight. I then did what you said and cut the hose to where the gas tank was directly under the fuel pump and it would pick the diesel to the top of the tank and then it would go back down. It never got higher then that. Im going to take the fuel pump off in the morning to see if it is working right. Thanks for the help finitetime

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When whoever installed the pump on the engine DID NOT get the pump arm UNDER the cam lobe. Pull it out and check for sure it's under the cam lobe. It won't pump with the arm on top of the cam.

TMACK0034

Reaction score
My father and I installed the new pump ourselves because the old one was broken when it was pulled out of another truck. I decided I didn't feel lile waiting so I'm going out to take the fuel pump off and make sure it is installed correctly. Thanks for that OLDBULL8 I had just read that in another post so hopefully rhat fixes it.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well its either you have the pump arm on top of the cam lobe or the pump is shot. Now you telling us it simply wont suck fuel I'm going with the cleck valves in the pump are failed and leaking back. Thats why the fuel drains back. Once the pump stops pumping what fuel is in the lines and system will stay right where it is. If it continues to "travel" then there is a leak somewhere.. Our fuel systems are like a finger over a straw. Lift the straw out of the soda and nothing stills out but.. Remove your finger and loose all of it. Our systems are the same. Just on a larger scale.

TMACK0034

Reaction score
Alright that helps. I pulled the pump today and found it was toast so I took it back and got an electric fuel pump. I'm going to put it on tonight when I get back. Hopefully that'll solve the problem

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Please explain the meaning of "the pump was toast". Glad you found the problem but toast tells us nothig and the toast reason may save you more fuel issues.. If we know what it means..

TMACK0034

Reaction score
The pump was bad it what I mean by that. Sorry for the confusion there. I installed the electric pump and got fuel to the IP but now I am not getting fuel to the injectors. I believe the lines may be clogged up because I have no idea how long the engine was sitting, but I haven't had a chance to find out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online