fuel pressure gauge

pybyr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm planning on running 2 gauges- one before the filter and one after the filter. That way I know just when my filter is gummed up. At 30 bucks a pop it will more than pay for itself I reckon

If you ran an electrical readout gauge (I know you said that you're leaning towards mechanical) then you could have a single gauge with a switch to the 'before' and 'after' PSIs so that you could compare...

gatorman21218

Reaction score
Wow ive sort of hijacked this thread. Sorry. I'm planning on getting 6 gauges and plumbing them all into the cab. I have heard good things about Stewart-Warner and NAPA sells everything I need. Plus they look good and you can only work as good as you look.:sly Anyway I'm gonna get 2 fuel gauges as previously stated, oil temp and pressure, water temp and a pyro (so i can turn up the pump and smoke out the ricers that seem to congregate around the University of Florida's campus:backoff:backoff just kidding) And yes ive thought about having oil and diesel plumbed into the cab and I'm really not that concerned. I have a vinyl floor covering and a vinyl seat so if worse comes to worse I can just run a hose in the cab and wash it out. This aint a cadillac we're talkin bout here.

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow ive sort of hijacked this thread. Sorry. I'm planning on getting 6 gauges and plumbing them all into the cab. I have heard good things about Stewart-Warner and NAPA sells everything I need. Plus they look good and you can only work as good as you look.:sly Anyway I'm gonna get 2 fuel gauges as previously stated, oil temp and pressure, water temp and a pyro (so i can turn up the pump and smoke out the ricers that seem to congregate around the University of Florida's campus:backoff:backoff just kidding) And yes ive thought about having oil and diesel plumbed into the cab and I'm really not that concerned. I have a vinyl floor covering and a vinyl seat so if worse comes to worse I can just run a hose in the cab and wash it out. This aint a cadillac we're talkin bout here.

For a few extra dollars you can get isolaters and then you won't have oil or diesel in the cab.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
then I would have coolant in the cab! Ive only been able to find isolators for 70-100 dollars each. For 4 guages thats more than 200 extra dollars. no thanks Ill just get me an extra roll of papertowels

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another approach that looks really :thumbsup: is to mount a hood-scoop that has enough vertical surface facing the windshield and mount gauges into the scoop.

I have fuel and oil plumbed into the cab of many trucks with never a negative issue and am not hesitant to continue; but, one advantage of the cowl- or scoop-mounted gauges is being able to keep several wires and tubes out from under an already over-complicated under-dash.

Another good idea (that I have not yet done myself) is to have one of those braided stainless hose companies to make up some brake-tube-sized hoses with 1/8-NPT female swivels on both ends; things would have to get bad indeed to rupture one of those. ;Sweet

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got my isolater for $20 when I bought my fuel pressure gauge. I got my stuff from Holland Court Diesel. Yes you have some anti freeze in the cab but it amounts to a couple of drops if it leaks out. If you have them strait plumbed to the oil and diesel then if it starts leaking you could have a mess quick. I never had a problem with mine.

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well ill be sleeping on mine and yalls ideas since My whole town is shut down due to a little snow

Ours too. we got 4" and you would think we have 6 ft. I hate it when it snows down here. People freak out and act like the world is about to end. Its just another day.

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
One thing that all of you will fuel plumbed into the cab need to keep in mind is that Department of Transportation (dot) Will fine the Daylights out of you if they see them. Any line running fuel has a set routing through a vehicle, namely outside the cab and away from moving parts and heat.

just something to keep in mind. That and a couple drops of oil or diesel adds up quick and turns into a mess. My rig is no cadillac I agree, but I still like to be able to clean it up once in awhile for my fairer passengers (fiance, in-laws, parents, etc.)

punk

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One thing that all of you will fuel plumbed into the cab need to keep in mind is that Department of Transportation (dot) Will fine the Daylights out of you if they see them. Any line running fuel has a set routing through a vehicle, namely outside the cab and away from moving parts and heat.

I have yet to know a D.O.T. officer that could tell a spark-plug from a dip-stick, so I honestly doubt that there are any worries from that front.LOL

gatorman21218

Reaction score

just something to keep in mind. That and a couple drops of oil or diesel adds up quick and turns into a mess. My rig is no cadillac I agree, but I still like to be able to clean it up once in awhile for my fairer passengers (fiance, in-laws, parents, etc.)

punk

Yeah I can understand their worry but how are they gonna enforce it? just like running red diesel I have never been pulled over and dipped for it so are they gonna pull me over and check every gauge in my cab? We do have state inspections in VA but my mechanic is a good guy and he passed me last month without a muffler and a cloud of white smoke that the wizard of oz could hide behind.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
ok heres the deal. we'll compromise. you can buy me this and ill use it. http://catalog.marquestscientific.c...out-gauge/item-1606?&seo=110&bc=100|1029|1027

But seriously would this work? would there be a loss of accuracy? thats what i'm mostly concerned with. In the big rigs do they use isolators or are they straight piped into the cab? 40 dollars a pop aint too bad i think i could live with that just for the fuel pressure gauges

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They will read perfect as long as on the antifreeze side you get all the air out. Those are very similar to the one I have. I never had any problems out of mine. Let me see if I can figure out what mine is because it was a little cheaper and its all metal with a nice mounting tab.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
What is mcmaster carr? are they a really high quality company or what? cant i just get the fittings and what not at ACE, the helpful hardware place?