fuel pressure gauge

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea you can get them at ace no problem. I like to get fittings where I can test fit them all together because half the time I don't know what I am gonna do till I start putting it together.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
Yeah thats me too. you should have seen the lady at the checkout counter when I had my coolant filter all assembled in the shopping cart. I was afraid if i took it apart i would forget how it went together.

As for the fittings on the filter head, my lines are steel and are very particular as to how they fit. how do I go about plumbing into the lines?

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the line that goes from the filter to the IP can be remade out anything that will hold 10 psi and fuel. The 2nd post of this thread has a pic that looks like the stock elbow tapped. You might be able to rebend the stock line also to incorporate a t fitting. Being that its not high pressure there are a few things ya can do.

pybyr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is mcmaster carr? are they a really high quality company or what? cant i just get the fittings and what not at ACE, the helpful hardware place?

McMaster-Carr is a GREAT company. Their focus is industrial supplies, and they have a huge inventory and are fabulously helpful, reasonably priced, and get stuff out quick. I ordered some small metric to english thread bushings from them back in early December, using their online ordering, then 25 minutes later, realized I'd ordered the wrong size and already had some of what I needed on hand- so I called them back to cancel. When I spoke to them on the phone (again- this is only 25 minutes later), they said that the package had already been packed and given to the shipping company, so it was too late to call it back. So they mailed me a return shipping preprinted label and they paid the freight to have me ship the item back, and credited me for the item+ shipping-- all on an order that had been my mistake. Can't ask for better service.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is mcmaster carr? are they a really high quality company or what? cant i just get the fittings and what not at ACE, the helpful hardware place?

ACE is fine for the simple TEEs and such; but, I doubt they are gonna have the snubber or the 1/8-NPT ball-valve, but who knows :dunno , I have never asked them .

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what snubber do i get? there are three i see. .004 .008 or .015 or something like that

You want the smallest orifice; the description should state for air and other gases.

Without a snubber, the needle will pulse/flinch with each stroke of the lift-pump, soon wearing out the gauge, besides being hard to read.

I don't know if a snubber is required with an electric pump. :dunno

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a mechanical oil pressure gauge in my truck for years. One day, outta the blue, it started spewing oil out all over the face of the dash. The line fatigued and cracked. Never again. When you get black oil all over you wife's brand new (white) Adidas, life is very unpleasant (and lonesome) for a while.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a mechanical oil pressure gauge in my truck for years. One day, outta the blue, it started spewing oil out all over the face of the dash. The line fatigued and cracked. Never again. When you get black oil all over you wife's brand new (white) Adidas, life is very unpleasant (and lonesome) for a while.

Every time I read such a story, I have to tell about the cookooidiotcookoo that works for my father.

This story is a whole lot funnier if you actually know this guy and how he does things.

He has this old Cutlass that he tries to make into a street dragster on a minimum-wage/seven-kids/wife-that-don't-work budget and absolutely zero sense; big wads of black tape wrapped around twisted-together wires going in all directions, with no consideration as to amperage-draw, just using whatever wire someone else happens to have at hand.

He went to lunch one day; and, while sitting in line at the drive-thru, racing the engine, with his twenty-five-hundred-dollar stereo shaking the walls of McDonalds, the line to the oil-pressure gauge blew loose (I am certain :rolleyes: that he had it very secure) and filled the floor and seat with hot black oil. :rotflmao

The only thing that wasn't black was the whites of his eyes. :rotflmao

He looked like one of those loons they fished out of the bay after the Valdez situation. LOL:rotflmaoLOL

jim_22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My neighbor took his newish Toyota to the local gas station with a minor fuel problem and the guy ran some gasoline lines into the passenger area so he could drive and trouble shoot something, the car caught on fire and was totaled, the mechanic got hurt but survived. This is a licensed mechanic. Go figure.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
Yeah i know how dangerous it is but I would rather get some oil on my boots (it would shine them up anyhow!!!) then lose oil pressure like I did and burn up my engine