Fuel pressure....but running out of fuel!

gingrass179

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok so again....I pulled all lines including sender in the tank...I tested the sending unit for leaks or issues by pressurizing it under water to check for cracks or leaks...I blew all lines out up to the regulator from the tank...my regulator is on the passenger fender...my filter head and filter flow good on a bench and don't seem to be restricting anything....I pulled the front off the ip and the screen in there was beautiful.....so I reassembled everything with a new lift pump carter p47213 or precision e16018 pump...it is from a 98-02 cummins it is 80gph free flow and claims 50gph @10psi....I chose this pump as I want to be able to walk into any parts store and them have it in stock...I have no change as far as it stumbling when landing past idle and trying to catch itself than smoothing out. I can mash my foot to the floor and get smoke and burp throttle at even 2800rpm and get black smoke now...so now I know I'm fueling properly..but it still does gain quite a bit of rpm out of nowhere when I don't input it, when I'm above 2500.....but when it comes down to idle it will go right past 800 and catch at around 4-500 and then smooth out....do I just need to bite the bullet and say something is funky in my ip???

gingrass179

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive been scouring the net and calling everyone I know and no one has heard of this issue NOT being a fuel supply issue!!! ive done everything I know and have read over and over about the db2 and I think my metering valve isn't allowing more fuel in as the rpms go up...

SebastIDIan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have someone loan you a known good pump? That way you can rule IP out without having to buy a new one.
I don't see how it is fuel delivery related after you've taken all those steps to make sure you were getting enough fuel.

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Off subject, but what size an fittings are you using from your pump to the filter, and from the filter to the ip? How does that block to your heater core get fed?

SWS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gingrass179

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm kinda confused what you are asking... It is a -6 an from tank to filter head...and you want to know my heater core size?

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
No. Isn't that aluminum block a junction between the engine and the heater core? If not, what is it? If so, how does the coolant go to and from it? Also, is the ip inlet a -6?

gingrass179

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I know what you are looking at...one of the other members posted a pic of there rig. The aluminum block is on there truck

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
I'm sorry, i missed that "here is my setup" sentence. It was laserjock.

gingrass179

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well been kinda sick but some progress... Lol I deleted the factory filter head as every time I pressed the Schrader valve I could get a spurt of air ( may have just been pressure tricking me) but it had to go lol...so I had this dual remote mount oil filter setup I had got for a mustang Idi I was doing and did some research and found a couple f/w separators that would fit. I also bought some 3/8 reinforced clear line and ran from tank to pump and pump to new filter head assembly...and than did clear line from my regulator to ip and ran my bypass return down the passenger side back to the tank...needless to say I had no change...so I pulled the ip...but I've got a ******* supply setup now and I'm into fairly cheap! Lift pump is from a 98-02 Cummins $125 $55 an fittings 35 in other fittings, 25 in line and clamps dual filter setup was 45 filters 20 ea regulator was 79 and my in tank strainer was around 25

You must be registered for see images attach

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Staff online