Fuel pressure....but running out of fuel!

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a restriction somewhere to me. I just zoomed in to have a look at your filter head. Looks like you put the gauge in the schrader valve location. If memory serves, I don't think that will tell you what you need to know and it's probably why you don't see a pressure drop. I tee'd mine in on the back port where the stock pressure switch is. I'd move the gauge and watch it. I think it's lying to you where it is.

Here is my setup.

You must be registered for see images attach

Fuel pressure gauge to the back, return line in the middle and schrader valve in the front.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sure this is way over my head however I seem to remember reading about issues when you apply too much fuel pressure to these mechanical pumps???

gingrass179

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so last night once I got home I went thru everything...I pulled my sender and checked for restrictions...clear...pulled line at bypass and blew back too pump...clear...line from pump to tank clear....I bypassed my regulator and bypassed my filter head and also ran straight from the tank no strainer and issue is still there....so last night I had it going from can to pump to ip and symptoms were the same...I am in agreeace that the location of my gauge is worthless after messing around with the filter head last night.....I think it's time to pull the ip

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would turning the fuel adjustment screw be worth trying before you remove injection pump? Maybe a half turn clockwise and try it, then a half turn in the other direction and try it again???

gingrass179

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's running out of fuel that is entering the ip....the adjustment screw only changes what exits the pump

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anything is possible it just used to run all the way up to 3200
Check your throttle cable, with the engine off, push the go peddle to WOT and hold it there, then see if the IP throttle shaft can move some more to WOT. It's known the IP throttle actuator can slip on the IP shaft, or the cable is stretched.

gingrass179

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well definitely not that it's a new cable and it will make it to 3200 it just revs without throttle input like when it runs out of fuel...and when it comes back to idle it tries die and stumbles before it catches

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Crazy that the IP would be the problem if it ran so well beforehand.... Unless got crap in it like Macrobb said.

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You really ought to try the ATF trick. Be a lot easier than pulling the IP and just might clear things up.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fuel pressure gauge is fine where you had it. I have the senders for my in cab fuel pressure gauges on both my IDI's in the location you chose. Why that location? It is where the factory sender is for the fuel filter light. It is the same pressure in the supply line for the IP.

In my experience, a used IP sitting unused for a period of time can have issues it didn't have before. Any crap in the supply line leaving the filter head going to the IP? How about the IP inlet screen?

Heath

gingrass179

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Supply line leaving filter head is clear I cleared all lines last night...Will have to tear down ip to check screen

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
In your pic please tell us what size the fuel line is leaving the filter head and feeding the injection pump.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online