fuel plate mod, truck died 12v 5.9

pullinu

pullinu
Reaction score
Yep, we have all the hardware, if the fuel lever dropped past the plate causing this then removing the plate could possibly bring the ole girl back to life, a simple fix would be nice, theowner of the truck is sweatin 50 cal. bullets right now

1320Cummins

Pro Parts Thrasher
Reaction score
Did yall get into the throttle ******* your test drive? I am wondering if the extra HP being drawn by the now uprated pump caused the timing to slip.
The P-7100 uses no timing keys only a tapered shaft on gear fit torqued to 145ft lbs.

pullinu

pullinu
Reaction score
I'm no expert on the 5.9 cummins but that sound logical, the short rattle sound it made during acceleration is what keeps buggin me, and after that she started running bad, any one have info on how to check gear and pump timing

1320Cummins

Pro Parts Thrasher
Reaction score
Here is a so so article on timing the P7100.
http://www.dieselpowermag.com/tech/...esel_fuel_injection/injector_pump_timing.html

There is no practicle way for you to check it without special tools.
The best route for your friend is going to be your local Bosch friendly pump shop. Have them set timing to 16 degrees btdc. Special tools are also required to set the timing.
When you break the lines loose are you getting good solid pulses of fuel?

pullinu

pullinu
Reaction score
Yes we are getting good fuel at the lines, the only problem is there is no bosch freindly shops up here, might have to do some travling, were almost at the edge of the earth, thanks for the article link, all info is greatly appreciated

1320Cummins

Pro Parts Thrasher
Reaction score
Did the rattle sound like fuel knock or mechanical? Do you know if this truck has had the dowel pin tabbed. Check the driver side of the gear case for a crack and oil leak. Also check to the right the water pump for a crack near where the cps harness runs.

pullinu

pullinu
Reaction score
I am almost certain it was a fuel knock, not sure on the dowel pin being tabbed, what dowel pin and where is it, the motor has never been apart so if its not a factory thing I would say no, I will check the gear case for cracks, what would cause it to crack

97idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its called the killer dowel pin
here is whare its located and what can happen
You must be registered for see images attach

A= whare its supposed to stay
B= a bad day

some times they fall out and cause no harm but in other cases it will destroy the motor:puke:

pullinu

pullinu
Reaction score
Problem solved, been in the garage all night and i would like to thank all who contributed info, found the injection pump timing to be retarded like FOREST GUMP. The nut holding the tapered pump shaft to the gear was snug but not tight, pulled down the front cover, reset the pump and gears, she fired right up and ran great, had nothing to do with the fuel plate mod, after the test drive tonight we have it dialed in and compared to before this thing is a rocket. Thanks you guys for all the help

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance