fuel plate mod, truck died 12v 5.9

pullinu

pullinu
Reaction score
we performed the afc mod to my freind 1997 12v 5.9 as out lined in the article by ARGVE, great article and vary informative. We were confident with what we did, ground the plate to the 100 profile, moved it forward, reassembled and test drove. Engine started right up, went on test drive and all was ok for 3 miles. The motor made a short rattle, about 1 sec long and fell on its face, barley got it home, white smoke out the pipe and now it wont even start, will run on carb clean and it does have fuel at injectors when cranking. please help, its his only vehicle

97idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can take the plate all the way out and it should run just smoke black alot
does he have gauges?
how hard did u run the truck?

pullinu

pullinu
Reaction score
I took it back apart and nothing is broke or missing, the plate didnt come loose. When you hold the go pedal to the floor it will sputter, try to catch and die, i moved the plate back to the middle and it wont start at all. The strange rattle we heard is what concerns me, kinda like when you get a little liq. propane into the intake but this truck has no propane on it

97idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did it smoke heavy? could be bad injectors or somewhare in the fuel sys something isnt right, it might not be getting fuel as being the no start, (does it smke any white when u crank it?) as for the rattle maby water got in the fuel some how? or intake just an idea but u never know

pullinu

pullinu
Reaction score
Sorry, forgot to answer some q's, no gauges on the beast and we did'nt run it hard at all, a total of 5 seconds of WOT between 2nd and 3rd gear

pullinu

pullinu
Reaction score
It black smoked moderatly and ran good at first and had good power, no problems with this motor for the last 250k, but after putting our fingers in it, well you know, and yes now when it cranks it white smokes and wont fire unless you give it juice in a can

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
sounds like it's starving for fuel. What's the fuel level in the tanks - I know dumb question but we's across the internet so we have to ask - trust me I have run out of fuel before and about beat my head against grill until I thought what's the level in the tank (in my defense the fuel gauge was broken)...

If you got fuel - do you have any in the filter? If you press the primer bulb does that help to get her started?

pullinu

pullinu
Reaction score
The tank is full, when you push the primer it has resistance and you can hear it pushin fuel, I cracked the lines loose at the pump and injectors while cranking the motor and we get fuel squirt at both, no signs of air but has white smoke out the pipe. During the test drive whatever went wrong happened almost instantly, it went from running good to wondering if we were going to walk home in the snow.

pullinu

pullinu
Reaction score
The grid heater was hooked up and the truck had been in the garage overnite, we unhooked the heater to give it a shot of boy scout juice after the problems started but its int the mid 20s outside today, previously this thing has started and ran on days when it has been -20. Is it possible that we somehow lost proper pump timing

pullinu

pullinu
Reaction score
I know we didnt mess with the timing, but im a ford geek so i have never been into the inner workings of a cummins, was not sure if there are any key ways or roll pins that could shear of and cause a timing issue, its kinda lookin like i am going to get a chance to find out

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
where is the fuel lever compared to the fuel plate - did it happen to drop past the plate?

Is the fuel shut off solenoid pulling up fully? Can you reach down there before you rotate the key to the start position and yank it up the rest of the way? Becasue when the key is turned to on the first solenoid fires then when the start position is hit the second solenoid comes alive which actually causes it to move, then once you move the key from start to run then second one drops off and the first one holds the lever up... might jump in and try to start then reach down and yank on the solenoid...

pullinu

pullinu
Reaction score
Not shure about the fuel lever dropping past the plate, this is the first time messin with one of these pumps, how would i check for this condition, We did check the shutoff solenoid and it seems ok

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online