Fuel pickup tube

Timthetoolman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need a pick up tube for my rear tank, already been through this with the front tank (cracked) now my rear tank runs out of fuel at 1/2 of a 1/4 tank.

Place to get one or part number or fellow OB that has one.

Thanks

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
I and MANY others have ran a piece of fuel hose to the bottom and do away with the "shower head" all together.

Thad

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
I have the "shower heads" and some random tubes. I have gotten into the habit of looking in corners (and occasionally the dumpster) for parts that work on an idi or could be modified to work on an idi. consequently I have a ton of "junk" in my garage.

punk

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really don't trust the showhead stock pickup. On my new senders, they had fallen off and were floating in the bottom of the tanks in three months time!:puke: I've replaced them with an equal length of quality fuel line with an inverted "V" or "fishmouth" cut into the bottom of the line. That will keep it from sucking on the bottom of the tank. I secured them to the sender with a hose clamp and called it good. No issues for over three years. But, I'll never put the factory pickup back on........they are pretty quick to fail!

Heath

groove

Reaction score
hesutton,
what are you using for replacement fuel sending units? Mine are shot and I need to get around to them sooner or later...

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been putting a hose clamp around the "Shower head" where it goes onto the pickup tube. So far both that I have done have stayed on. I cant speak for long term use but so far so good!
The origional one in my rear tank had 240K on it without coming off. Front tank has never been down.

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
Ironman

The issue I had with mine wasnt that they fell off it was more that they shattered into a million pieces......which may have been the result of falling off......

The end result was sucking pieces of the shower head into the fuel lines and in turn into the Fuel tank selector valve causing the FTSV to fail in the middle of a blizzard (it was told a million times it was gelled fuel.....not so much!!!)

I also wont EVER use the shower head again!!!! TOO much money and time wasted chasing down the gremlin!

Thad

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some one on the other forum simply used a generic gas tank pickup filter on the end of a short length of hose. This would still protect the fuel system components from any debris in the tank.

Okay boys let me give the rundown. Went to Napa and of course they could order me the strainer, but it would be a week before they could get it so I went to the back with them (since I used to work there) and browsed around looking at the different strainers they had. I found one I had to modify a bit but it worked the part number I used was Line code: NFP Part #STS-136. Here are the pics of the newly modified pickup.

You must be registered for see images attach

All said and done with the three inch 3/8 fuel line, two hose clamps and the strainer cost me $30.36. I placed the assembly in the tank and it sits on the bottom as is should, so I should be able to get everydrop out this sucker now HE HE HE HE. The strainer was a little bigger than the hose so I sqrayed some white lithium grease in the hose and it slid on like a champ. Dave or M.L.S.C., if you want you can save these pics to for a reference so it may help somebody else that may want to do the same thing. I haven't installed it back in the tank yet because I noticed the tank had a teeny bit of rust where the straps run (not enough to really worry about) so right now I'm waiting for the nice coating of rubberized undercoating spray I just applied to cover the rust and prevent any more, and to protect rubbing issues. I'll let you guys know how well it works.

Special thanks to "double_zero" on FTE. This is the best such repair I've seen to date.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I prefer H.E.Sutton's remedy with the hose, except I "swallowtail forked" mine, instead of "fish-mouthing".

As best I remember, it seems like I also poked a hole through one of the "forks" and wired a heavy nut onto it to weight the hose to the bottom.

This is in my front tank; the only issue I have so far had with the rear tank was the hollow copper float somehow went missing in action and had to be replaced.

I did have a mysterious "run out of fuel" a few days ago while drawing from the rear tank, so maybe something fishy is finally going on in there; it has done nothing but rain rain rain ever since, so I haven't gotten too industrious about checking it out.

As for any kind of filter or strainer being inside the tank, I prefer to go without and let a sediment-bowl not in the tank catch any foreign objects, where I can see what has been in the fuel/tank and easily clean it out.;Sweet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online