Fuel pickup tube pre filter

cheepsk8

Reaction score
My kids '84 idi was rear ended a while back and caused the rear tank to leak. He wasn't too worried about it since he could not get it to work anyway. When we finally got around to fixing it, we pulled the old sending unit out and found the problem. There was no pre filter on there and there was about 2" of gunk clogging it!

Problem 1) we were not able to find a replacement sending unit witch would include a new filter. 2) we cannot find a filter. We have cleaned the old sending unit and added an in-line filter. Now I wonder if the fuel pump can suck through it? Dunno as it is not installed yet. So was wanting to know if you guys had a better idea or knew where to get the pre filter.
Thanks

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
do not use an inline fitler, I make a ball of screen to fit over the tube in the tank and clamp it on did you extend the tube to go to the bottom? you will lack about 3-5 gallons if not.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are a bunch of thread on here about dealing with the broken off pickup tubes in the tanks. Just do a search for "showerhead" and any number of threads will come up. Most just run a piece of hose in the tank. As Russ mentions above, it is a good idea to run a screen on the end so any big stuff doesn't get sucked into the lines. Here is link to a thread where I posted some pictures of the showerhead repair I did.
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?56485-Got-showerhead-!

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Putting an OEM showerhead on the end of the pickup tube is almost guaranteeing that you will have to drop the tanks sometime in the future and replace it again. The oem showerheads in my tanks had dropped off the pickup tubes and disintegrated into a million little bits of black plastic. And then we wonder why these trucks are prone to problems with the fuel tank selection valves - those plastic bits get into the fsv and muck it up. Anyway, just my opinion but I will never put one of those oem showerheads back in after I have done all the work to get the tanks dropped.

cheepsk8

Reaction score
I can extend the fuel line. Thanks all for the tips! At some point there was about 3" of fuel line added to it. There was no screen on it though.

theguruat12

Certified Tinkerer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used some nifty little stainless steel paint sprayer pickup screens for mine. When I did this, I also replaced all of the old lines, and fired out the FSV with compressed air. Couldn't BELIEVE how much plastic was in there.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
There is no Cone of Failure on the '83 & '84 IDI fuel tanks, it was introduced in '85. So no screen or filter, just a bypass valve.

REALLY???? I had no idea that the showerhead was not introduced until 85!! That makes me feel good as I have been anticipating the 1/4 tank stalling issue to begin at any time with my 84 as the tanks or pickup tubes have never been touched. Just made my day as I now realize that this is one less days work ahead of me on something stupid like a broken showerhead!

Thanks

ToughOldFord

The Cold Glow-Plug
Reaction score
REALLY???? I had no idea that the showerhead was not introduced until 85!! That makes me feel good as I have been anticipating the 1/4 tank stalling issue to begin at any time with my 84 as the tanks or pickup tubes have never been touched. Just made my day as I now realize that this is one less days work ahead of me on something stupid like a broken showerhead!

Thanks

Yep, when I found that out it gave me one more reason to wish I had kept my '84. :frustrate

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Does anyone have a picture of the 83-84 pickup tube? I wouldn't mind seeing it and there is a good chance that I won't have to drop my tanks since I have this earlier setup and won't see them for myself

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Does anyone have a picture of the 83-84 pickup tube? I wouldn't mind seeing it and there is a good chance that I won't have to drop my tanks since I have this earlier setup and won't see them for myself

Here ya go.
You must be registered for see images attach

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So that's an early one? Is the length of hose factory? I understand all of us doing hose, but a piece of hose on the end seems hokie from the factory.
Travis..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bob123456789

Staff online