Fuel mileage....

GWDriver

Reaction score
Sunday morning, I'll leave San Antonio, TX headed for Vance AFB in Enid, OK (wife's TDY) for a week. This will be my first distance travel on my 'new' '03 Cummins H.O. Though I've driven diesels before, they were always big truck diesels and the fuel mileage sucked, to be blunt. Right around 7.5 at the max.

I'll be trying for a consistant 65 mph and using cruise as much as possible. With the 4.10 gearing on the beast, what should I be looking at in fuel mileage? I've seen the overhead display showing 18.5 when I bought it two days ago, but am now showing right at 16.8. Of course, I've been riding around in town quite a bit.

I'd appreciate any feed back.

GWDriver

Reaction score
Since last Sunday morning, I've logged over 1300 miles on the 'new' '03. Fuel mileage hasn't been like the Sonata my wife drives, but I think it is acceptable for a Dodge common rail.

I kept track of the mileage two ways. One was for the benefit of my wife. She just loved watching the little readout on the overhead display as it creeped up past 22.8 by the end of the trip (right at 700 miles the way we came). After driving around to see folks I know up here, while the little lady did her job at Vance AFB, I put over 350 more miles on it. Since most of the miles were highway miles, there hasn't been much change on the idiot light.

What did impress me was that using the old manual method of keeping track, with over three tanks of fuel, I've been able to pull down right at 20.4 mpg.

Is this in the ball park for these engines? I know the 4.10 gearing didn't help much, but I was just a bit impressed.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What did impress me was that using the old manual method of keeping track, with over three tanks of fuel, I've been able to pull down right at 20.4 mpg.

Is this in the ball park for these engines? I know the 4.10 gearing didn't help much, but I was just a bit impressed.

Yep, she's right on target. Very close to my '04.5 with 3.73 gears and a 6 speed manual.

Now you know why about 75% of the pickup hot shot and RV transporters run a Dodge.

GWDriver

Reaction score
TonkaDoc.............

Made about 346 drops myself as a sport jumper at Camp Legeune, NC. After I came back from two years 'in country', I made a few more jumps. Then I looked at my fellow jumpers and how 'gimped up' they were from their own tours. And it dawned on me........................

It's not the long fall, It's not the sudden stop. It's the point of impact that hurts!..............:D

BTW, Just checked out the truck in prep for going back to San Antonio this Saturday afternoon. Looks as clean underneath as it does inside the cab. No signs of any prior leaks having been cleaned off, no current leaks. All fittings are tight and I'm looking forward to the trip home.

Will post pics after I get settled back in at the house.

GWDriver

Reaction score
Two fill ups, different mileage.....

Arrived home in San Antonio, about 12:35 this morning. Filled up in End OK at a local small station. Filled up again in Waco, TX. Mileage was bout 18.2. In Waco, I filled up at a Flying J truck stop. Checked the milege this a.m., both manual and with the truck computer. Computer had it at 23.7 and manual had it figured at 21.8. I can live with that since I've heard it gets better with age.

I think it also shows that smaller dealers may have older fuel, contaminated fuel, etc. Most truck stops run through diesel pretty quick and always have fresh fuel available.

Pics coming soon.