Fuel mileage...what do you guys think?

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had my truck almost a year but I actually have only had it on the road for about a month.

So, I've put a few tanks of fuel through it so far.

Now, I pretty much only use the truck to run back and forth to work (about 10 miles one way) and run errands and such around town. And admittedly, I really don't baby it.

I think I've averaged a best of near 16 mpg, and worst of 13 mpg.

How's that stack up?

My truck has 4.10's, by the way.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds about right to me. I would bet you'll get around 18 (maybe better) if you can keep it at around 60 mph on the highway. I have 4.10s and going fast equals poor mileage.

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
sounds pretty good. i get about 16 with mine and i pound on it pretty hard. im sure the 4:10s help around town but hurt on the 4 lane. where do u shift?

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used to see abou 12mpg around town, then I turned my pump down and also adjusted the FIPL so I get 1.0V at idle (used to be 1.15V), I now average about 15mpg shifting at 1600rpms under light throttle.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its the short trips that are killing your MPGs. These diesels have a long warm up time and there really isn't much you can do about that. I have 3.08s and short trips in town can drag the economy down to the mid 12s, but I don't usually baby it too much when I have to ge get something. For highway driving with your 4.10s, keep it under 60 MPH and you could hit 20 MPG empty.

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, the first week I had it on the road, I ran to Canaan Valley, WV which was about a 220 mile round trip, and I averaged maybe 16 mpg for the whole trip. I was doing about 65 the whole way.

It actually usually gets around 15 even for just driving back and forth to work.

schoelta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm lucky if I get 10mpg on the hwy. I don't go over 60mph. I have an, 86 F-250 4x4 with a 6.9L IDI NA with 4.10's and a C6, 33x12.5x16.5 inflated @ 50psi for tires. I keep hearing people here getting almost 20 mpg, but there is no way I could even get close to that. My injectors are only 4 yrs old, and I don't have any fuel leaks. Everything is dry as far as the lines and injectors go. I think it's all in my IP. It looks wet, and I don't know how many miles it has, but I can't see that killing my mpg's by 10. I'm hoping in the near future when I get my new IP, that my mpg's with go up significantly. Any other suggestions?

FordGuy100

Reaction score
A bad IP could cause bad fuel milage. Low fuel pressure, out of timing, ect....could all be factors. But then again, you dont have the best setup for fuel economy, but still 10mpg is still pretty bad. How much are you on the go peddle?

smoking89IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
16 City 21 Hwy in mine IF and a BIG IF I keep my foot out of it. Best I have had is 24 going to Elko Nevada. If I don't keep my foot out of it I get 15-16 no matter what, I even got 15 towing last week, I flew up Mount Rose (4700ft to 8000ft in a hurry) highway to Incline Village, picked up a Jeep Cherokee then drove from Incline to Truckee (over Brockway summit) then back to Reno then to my house all in all a bunch of hills and the skinny peddle to the floor ;Sweet

Cat_Rebel

Does not compute
Reaction score
I'm lucky if I get 10mpg on the hwy. I don't go over 60mph. I have an, 86 F-250 4x4 with a 6.9L IDI NA with 4.10's and a C6, 33x12.5x16.5 inflated @ 50psi for tires. I keep hearing people here getting almost 20 mpg, but there is no way I could even get close to that. My injectors are only 4 yrs old, and I don't have any fuel leaks. Everything is dry as far as the lines and injectors go. I think it's all in my IP. It looks wet, and I don't know how many miles it has, but I can't see that killing my mpg's by 10. I'm hoping in the near future when I get my new IP, that my mpg's with go up significantly. Any other suggestions?

I think that C6 without OD & 4.10s is your biggest killer.

16 City 21 Hwy in mine IF and a BIG IF I keep my foot out of it. Best I have had is 24 going to Elko Nevada. If I don't keep my foot out of it I get 15-16 no matter what, I even got 15 towing last week, I flew up Mount Rose (4700ft to 8000ft in a hurry) highway to Incline Village, picked up a Jeep Cherokee then drove from Incline to Truckee (over Brockway summit) then back to Reno then to my house all in all a bunch of hills and the skinny peddle to the floor ;Sweet

What gears are you running...3.55?

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It all depends on how big what you're towing or hauling is. Yeah you'll bog down 3.55s if you're towing a 5'er or a 36' Contender, but not for towing a Jeep, a normal sized boat, hauling a cord of wood, that sort of thing. I used to get 11-12 towing the boat with my C6 and 4.10s N/A. After I switched to the 3.55s I got 13-14 mpg. This boat only weighs 2500-3500 lbs loaded to the gills and maybe add another 625 for the trailer. I have yet to tow with my turbo and/or manual. I can't wait, its gonna be even better.

schoelta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A bad IP could cause bad fuel milage. Low fuel pressure, out of timing, ect....could all be factors. But then again, you dont have the best setup for fuel economy, but still 10mpg is still pretty bad. How much are you on the go peddle?

I'm not TOO bad, qt least I h ave been trying to be better, but that is why I think the IP is my main cause. I might be pushing down farther than I would if I had a normal functioning IP.

I know there are people here with 4.10's and no OD that are killing me in mpg's, even with the C6. I do mostly city driving, but I would think that I should be able to go more than 130 miles on 16 gal of fuel, and that's on a good tank. Mostly it's around 115 to 120 miles per tank.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes