Fuel Mileage VS Timing

Black dawg

Reaction score
Every manual trans truck I have had always got better mpg and more consistent mpg than the auto trucks, regarldless of OD or not.

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
There is no substitute for proper timing. Keeping your cruise RPM's at 1800, and having a good pump with good injectors, and a manual trans is the key to good fuel economy.

I understand everything except a manual, why would that help? Except less slip?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Every manual trans truck I have had always got better mpg and more consistent mpg than the auto trucks, regarldless of OD or not.

I agree. Until it comes to them one's by the name of Allison. :LOL
Or one that's been tuned.

But with some cars it's a different story.
The auto version of my gf's car is rated like 5mpg highway better than the manual.
But it's because of the crappy gear spacing on the manuals.
But even with the auto, on a good day we get 29mpg out of it.

Last edited:

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mel, is 8.5 btdc using the ferret adapter still the optimal injection time? like the feller whos gotthat badass long haul idi (sorry forgot your screenname), optimal injection timing will net in highest peak cylinder pressure, meaning more power obviously-but also better mileage if you take er easy.
So just wondering if 8.5 is the best of both or is it plusminus a degree depending on truck? Im talking about n/a btw.

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
A lot of parasitic loss is up front too, think about what all your engine runs.. Powersteering, alternator(s), vacuum pump, water pump, a/c compressor, mechanical lift pump, mechanical IP, cam, high comp ratio, idler and tensioner pulley. Transmission is just part of the problem when it comes to parasitic loss.

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
Mel, is 8.5 btdc using the ferret adapter still the optimal injection time? like the feller whos gotthat badass long haul idi (sorry forgot your screenname), optimal injection timing will net in highest peak cylinder pressure, meaning more power obviously-but also better mileage if you take er easy.
So just wondering if 8.5 is the best of both or is it plusminus a degree depending on truck? Im talking about n/a btw.

I thought 8.5 was before the change in fuel to ULSD, I believe its 9.5 now.

Kalashnikov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got my Ferret the other night and tired using it tonight. First off it seems like a cheap POS for $200. Plastic case and just looks like a $40 thing. To make matters worse, it doesn't seem to even work! I'm using the Actron CP7529 and it won't pick up the signal no matter how I attach the clamp. The wire on the Ferret isn't near thick enough to give a tight fit. I've tried it every way possible and checked to make sure I getting good connections on the fuel line. Brand new battery that came with it. The red light flashes consistently but it just doesn't put out a signal. Not pleased at all...

EDIT: Just rechecked videos and my Ferret light is flashing a lot quicker. I'll try attaching the fuel line farther down the line and sanding with a more abrasive paper.

Last edited:

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hey i just ran into this last time.i had to flip the spark plug wire clamp part around and it started reading perfect.made no sense but it worked.yeah it's for sure not something you would buy to time engines for making money.it's should last a long time and time your engine all you need as long as your kind with it.your right it's no hd work type tool.but the money is fraction of new meter type price too.

Kalashnikov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tried using the adapter again tonight with the same results. I email Discount Tool. Hopefully they send me a new one quickly as my truck desperately needs to be timed. Not happy at all. Wish I bought an old style meter at this point.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Have you tried the number 4 cylinder injecter line.. These engines will time off the number 1 or 4 cylinder exactly the same. You might have an injecter issue on number one cylinder too. Getting the under side of the hard line clean is tuff. I use an inspection mirror to loook under there to see if its clean enough.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah that's a good point.you need to take sand paper to the fuel line for your ground clamp.make it all nice and shiny.
next if still no reading,unplug the clamp for the light that you normally put around a spark plug wire and spin it 180 degrees and clamp it back in the ferrets wire loop,see what i mean? she'll read then.

Kalashnikov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a another timing light a few weeks ago and finally got chance to test it out. It works! My timing was at 4.5* approximately. I got it to around 7.5 but it was surging pretty bad the second time and it is late so I stopped for tonight. The fuel heater oring is leaking so I suspect that's where I'm getting the surging.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Glad you got a way to time your engine. Sadly you got a bad meter the first time. I just made a bid on another J33300-a meter on ebay but my $280.00 bid was beaten out. Tuff luck but thats all I would pay for what was offered. Try the number 4 hard line for timing. for some reason that works better than number one hard line sometimes.

Kalashnikov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They sounded very surprised when I said I had a problem with the first meter. Of course it'd be me that gets the 1 bad one! Took it for a quick spin tonight and the smoke seems much better now. Tomorrow on th highway to work will be the real test. I'll try #4 when I time it next, hopefully this weekend.