fuel line one way valve?

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever thought about putting a one way valve in the fuel supply line on their truck? I recently had a fuel heater leak and wondered if a one way valve in the fuel line down under the cab would have prevented the fuel draining back thus requiring repriming?

I'm still running a mechanical pump which I thought had one way valves in them, but maybe not.

Anyway just wondering if anyones done this or what they thought?

Thanks
Jeremy

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i wouldnt put anything restrictive inline.
your mechanical fuel pump should prevent this also, if the pump is at 100%

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The mechanical lift pump already has an anti return check valve in it. But when they fail all hell breaks loose with the fuel system. Our system is designed to act like a finger on the end of a straw. Place the straw in a soda and finger over the end. Lift straw out of soda and see nothing leaks out. Now allow some air ro leak in under your finger. See what happens. Thats what happens when we have a fuel leak. The fuel "finds" the lowest place to drain down to.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I installed a "check valve" in the fuel line just below the hard line going to the filter housing. It has been in place for (guessing) five years or more and been problem free since installation. I bought it on line and do not remember the vendor. Try googling "check valve fuel line". I think it's 5/16" size.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I'd of thought the fuel pump should have prevented too much back flow from a fuel heater leak since it's the high point. It doesn't seem like it did which concerns me. Fuel pump was new last year so I'm thinking it's OK. But now I'm not sure. If the trucks warm it primes it up no problem. But in the recent 10-15 cold we're having it won't prime when cold. I've replaced the fuel heater O-ring and am hopeful I've taken care of the leak.

Restriction was my concern also, but sounds like it's working for catbird7. It shouldn't be needed, but I may add one anyway. I hate to over complicate things.

Thanks
Jeremy

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Remember it can drain on the return side too. The only thing holding the fuel in is the soda straw effect and the little duck bill do-dad on the end of the return line on the sending unit.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online