fuel level gauge stuck!!

genchowford

genchowford
Reaction score
Stuck on full on front tank of 92 f 350 7.3 which happens to be my grease tank. Am I going to have to tear that tank down or is there an easier way?
thanks for any help

maddenji

Reaction score
Usually if there is a broken sender wire, the gauge will default to full. Check your wiring before you tear the tank apart. It could be a bad sender, but check the wiring first.
God Luck, Jim

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
No is the easy answer. Get under the truck and look up at the tank. Its tight but you can remove the front tank sender-pickup without dropping the tank. First remove the electrical lines. Then the fuel lines. Then a chisel or punch is needed to loosen the ring that holds the pickup in the tank. Its about 4 inches in diameter and only needs to be knocked loose. Then lift out the mess. Notice the locating pin towards the front of the truck. That must be alingned with the cover when you install the pickup. Also there is a square rubber gasket. Sometimes that sticks to the tank or the sender-pickup. Clean off the top of the tank before you try to remove the sender. There is always plenty of dirt up there.

sassyrel

Reaction score
and put some dsl on the oring before you put the sender back in--helps to seal. put antisieze on the lock ring, and the tabs, helps to get it tight, and keeps it from rusting off!!!! if that lock ring is about rusted gone--get a new one--ford has them, or can get them--as ican said--use of plenty of air will clean the area--

genchowford

genchowford
Reaction score
sending unit

yes it was the sending unit, looked all over for one, finally found one online for 48 bucks but they were out of stock. But believe it or not found one on Amazon for 37 bucks and its motorcraft. Ordered it on the 10th and received it on the 11th. impossible!!!

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yes it was the sending unit, looked all over for one, finally found one online for 48 bucks but they were out of stock. But believe it or not found one on Amazon for 37 bucks and its motorcraft. Ordered it on the 10th and received it on the 11th. impossible!!!

That's a great deal there.;Sweet When I got mine they were $90 each!:puke:

Heath

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No is the easy answer. Get under the truck and look up at the tank. Its tight but you can remove the front tank sender-pickup without dropping the tank. First remove the electrical lines. Then the fuel lines. Then a chisel or punch is needed to loosen the ring that holds the pickup in the tank. Its about 4 inches in diameter and only needs to be knocked loose. Then lift out the mess. Notice the locating pin towards the front of the truck. That must be alingned with the cover when you install the pickup. Also there is a square rubber gasket. Sometimes that sticks to the tank or the sender-pickup. Clean off the top of the tank before you try to remove the sender. There is always plenty of dirt up there.

Nice to know...I thought 'both' tanks had to be dropped to get to the senders.

subliminal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its tight but can be done, i just unbolt the bed and set it up on wood blocks when i have to get under there. when i replaced my bed i welded nuts on the frame so i could just unscrew the bolts from up top. much easier.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online