Fuel heater replacement options/opinion

Brianedwardss

Reaction score
Well, the fuel heater on my stock 7.3L NA filter head is leaking out the inside of the plug. I replaced the o-ring yesterday, cleaned things up, but it's obviously coming out of the plug and pooling up. Being close to the heater box has made diesel scent enter the cab, and I'm ready to cure it once and for all

So, is this a ford / IH part only? I doubt there's a way to remove it completely, but if there is I'm all ears. I don't use it here in Oregon, so cheaper is good with me

T.I.A. Folks

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
I actually removed the heater from my 85, but with an 89 engine. I was horrified to see when I got it apart, that the electrical contacts in side there were corroding inside the filter housing. I'm honestly not sure if the corroded particles would have been post or pre filter, but never the less.

I have filter heads from an 87, 89, and a 94 now. I am going to use the one from the 87, because it is the simplest. The 89 has so many problems and places to leak it's ridiculous. The 94 is similiar, but without the bottom housing IIRC. The 87 has the fuel heater in the solid fuel line from the lift pump to the filter.

You, know, there is an 85 at PicknPull Columbia blvd, it may have the simpler filter head on it.:dunno

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I bought my truck it was leaking through the fuel heater just like it sound yours is doing. I replaced it (part #s: Ford #F2TZ-9J294-A International #1816602C91). I don't remember how much it was, it has been a few years.
There are a few members on here that have just threaded the housing and replaced it with a big bolt. I went for the heater because I just might end up in some very cold territory sometime and wanted to be prepared just in case.

Brianedwardss

Reaction score
You, know, there is an 85 at PicknPull Columbia blvd, it may have the simpler filter head on it.:dunno

Thanks for that. What I like about the '88+ filter head is the use of a check valve on the return line. It keeps any air in the return system out of the filter head, which helps keep the cranking time to a minimum. My '87 always has a hard time with air after it's been sitting, and when my 7.3L check valve stuck open, it had the same start-then-stall symptoms that the '87 has. Once I replaced it, no more air.

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
Huh, I didn't notice you had an 87 and an 88 before, guess I should tell you something you don't already know.LOL

I can't even remember exactly what I did, but if you remove the heater, there will of course be a hole where the electrode goes through. I think I used a combo of nut, bolt, washers (possibly injector coppers), and I think some JB weld. That makes about the third or fourth place that sum beach has been JB welded by me or the PO.

02x72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine was leaking and when I pulled it off to replace the o-ring I found that a OK had really messed the heater up, so I just removed the whole thing and filled the slot in the filter head with KNOW weld, a year later and still no leaks

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online