fuel heater repair clarification

gatorman21218

Reaction score
so my fuel heater is leaking. Now I love the smell of diesel in the morning, but Id rather smell it after it has been injected into the precup. ;Really

Anyway, my understanding is that you pop the black cap off, clean with carb cleaner, and fill with jb weld? Is this correct? Or do I need to drill it out first? thanks

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
i took my filter head off, removed the mount for the filter on the bottom and completly gutted the fuel heater leaving just the hole. then i jb welded the hole with a piece of tin at the bottom.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The above is correct. Remove the filter. Then remove the fitting the filter screws on to. Now push down on the connecter that is showing thru the filter head. Clean with brakeclean or something that will not leave a film and seal up the hole. RTV works great too or JB WEld. Only around 5 lbs on this side of the filter. I'm begining to think not very many of us really need these heaters. Just how much good do they do anyway....:dunno Surely out here on the west coast not many ever see freezing temps...

gatorman21218

Reaction score
Yeah I'm thinking as much white smoke as this thing puts out in the morning that the fuel heater isnt working. plus ive lost like 4mpg cuz of the leaks. If it gets really cold ill just plug her in.

Thanks for the info let me go try to fix it now that it is pitch black out. daggone daylight savings time it gets dark at 430 now.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
so the jb weld is curing. I took some pictures to possibly make a tech article, although they could not be any worse quality. pretty simple to do, although that daggone fitting was stuck on there quite well. had to clamp the thing in a vice and put all my weight on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online