Fuel Heater Leaking

Zeb1989

Reaction score
I'm going to tap and plug housing as the terminal for the heater is bubbling up through the middle. Question is when I put the plug in the tapped hole do I use Teflon tape or locktite?

Thanks

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i use RTV on coolant areas and teflon on fuel areas.
theoretically NPT does not require either, because of the tapered thread, but not bad insurance.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Teflon should be fine, it's on the unfiltered side anyway so any bits of tape would be caught by the filter.

Just don't tap it too deep.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Teflon tape is a great way to break anything soft, as it makes it WAAAY to easy to over-torque. Use a paste thread sealant such as Gasoila.

Loctite is a thread locker, not a sealant.

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
I don't use teflon tape on engines. Thats for plumbing. Get some of this.

Attachments

• 7784767-11.jpg
    7784767-11.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 53

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its super easy to just replace the 2 o-rings in the heater and repair it. I got mine from a local hydraulics shop, rather than special order from International. They didn't even charge me for them, since I only was there for 2 o-rings.

I know the fuel heater is largely unnecessary, and lots of folks delete it, but the repair took me less than 30 minutes once I had the o-rings (had to take the old ones in and match them up). I'm a wierdo that thinks that all the features of a vehicle should function as designed, so I opted to retain my fuel heater.

My $.02

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm a wierdo that thinks that all the features of a vehicle should function as designed....
Would that include a cassette deck, or a steering rag joint? If you had a '60s pickup truck, would you retain the in-cab fuel tank? "As designed" doesn't always mean "useful in today's world", and these are all examples. The fuel heater was designed into the fuel system at a time in history when retail diesel fuel was not nearly as temperature-stable as it is today. Today's winter blend diesel, esp. when used with an anti-gel additive, don't need the heater. IOW, like the in-cab fuel tank, the rag joint and the cassette deck, it's obsolete technology.

theguruat12

Certified Tinkerer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would that include a cassette deck, or a steering rag joint? If you had a '60s pickup truck, would you retain the in-cab fuel tank? "As designed" doesn't always mean "useful in today's world", and these are all examples. The fuel heater was designed into the fuel system at a time in history when retail diesel fuel was not nearly as temperature-stable as it is today. Today's winter blend diesel, esp. when used with an anti-gel additive, don't need the heater. IOW, like the in-cab fuel tank, the rag joint and the cassette deck, it's obsolete technology.

I may well be the only one, but the in-cab fuel tank is something I just like. Call me crazy, but imagining getting into any of my family's past 71's without that smell of fuel is just wrong.

Also I agree on replacing the fuel heater o-rings, simply because it's easier. I too did mine in less than half an hour, no problems. Easier than going and finding my tap kit. But hey, that's just me.

JM2CW

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The next time my heater leaks fuel its getting replaced with a plug. End of leaks is the direction I want to go. Same with that stel return line running down the drivers side in the intake manifld. The manifold fitting way back @ # 8 cylinder injector has an olive seal in it. Big fuel leaks happen thee. I replaced mine 8 years ago during an overhaul. That thing was was hard as hell. Many have no idea there is a seal like that in there and can chase a fuel leak for months till they find this. The later 1/4 inch return line fitting back there is designed without this olive seal. Evolution has worked again...:thumbsup::thumbsup::D