Fuel Heater is leaking

OB_WAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
had my truck @ the shop the other day and they showed me where the fuel heater is leaking on top of my filter housing where the wire connects. I was told I need a new fuel heater but that it costs $150 from Ford.

Anyone know where I can source one @ a better price that won't be sub-par parts? Can I get one used?

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
had my truck @ the shop the other day and they showed me where the fuel heater is leaking on top of my filter housing where the wire connects. I was told I need a new fuel heater but that it costs $150 from Ford.

Anyone know where I can source one @ a better price that won't be sub-par parts? Can I get one used?

Though i dont recomened this, but i have the 7.3 filter head on my 6.9 and it started leaking so i drained the fuel from it, shot a little brake clean on it then dryed it off really good, and filled the plug with rtv and waited till it dryed before i let fuel run threw it again, and so far its working fine for me, i dont know if there is a o-ring or something you might could change, but thats what i done to mine, once again i dont recomend it cause its not the right way to fix it

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
You have an o-ring that seals this connection off. They dry out and you end up with a leak. International has these o-rings for around $2.00 each. All you need is one. Its easy to replace. First remove the filter. Then remove the wire connecter. Now use a 1 inch wrench on the filter internal threaded mount. When thats off the heating element will drop down. Then dig out the bad o-ring with a dental pick tool carefully as to not do damage to the aluminum housing. Install a new o-ring and grease up the heater connecter that fits back up in the head. Return all the removed parts and your done... The part number is 1811053C1.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
You have an o-ring that seals this connection off. They dry out and you end up with a leak. International has these o-rings for around $2.00 each. All you need is one. Its easy to replace. First remove the filter. Then remove the wire connecter. Now use a 1 inch wrench on the filter internal threaded mount. When thats off the heating element will drop down. Then dig out the bad o-ring with a dental pick tool carefully as to not do damage to the aluminum housing. Install a new o-ring and grease up the heater connecter that fits back up in the head. Return all the removed parts and your done... The part number is 1811053C1.

Now its time to fix mine the right way;Sweet

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
Believe it or not if you take a really small screwdriver and pry the tabs out so you can pull the fuel heater apart there is another o-ring inside there. When that one goes bad it leaks out the electrode. No idea what the PN is, I did a jimmy rig on mine which the OP could probably do since he is in Ca.

Oh Yeah, and another thing that will blow your mind is when you get that heater apart, at least on mine there was major corrosion in there on the electrical contacts, there are actual electrical contacts in there and the contacts were corroding and a few pieces were breaking off so I took mine out to avoid IP damage. Not 100% sure whether that would be pre or post filter.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
supposed to let you know when the injection pump is pulling fuil instead of having it pushed in. would mean you have a bad lift pump or clogged filter.

on edit sorry for the double post my last post didnt show up on my screen

OB_WAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where can I find these o-rings? I asked a diesel parts guy in the area and he told me the o-rings are no longer available.

norfolkff05

Reaction score
just wanted to say thanks to the OP for this thread and to those that contributed. i fixed my leak with a spare o-ring, which saved me the $165 i thought i would have to give to ford for a new filter header. not too mention, i feel a whole lot better driving my truck now that its not pouring out fuel!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel

Members online