fuel cut off for engine braking

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
would it hurt the IP to have a momentary kill switch for help with down hill engine braking?

thanks!

swervyjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems to me that if you kill the engine, you're going to loose power steering and power brakes. Also, I'm guessing that's highly illegal

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
Seems to me that if you kill the engine, you're going to loose power steering and power brakes. Also, I'm guessing that's highly illegal

When your doing 35-65mph I don't think your going to lose power steering unless you have a c6 or a e4od without lockup mod

racin460

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know but it sounds like an idea, ill have to follow this.

02x72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When your doing 35-65mph I don't think your going to lose power steering unless you have a c6 or a e4od without lockup mod
In my opinion it seems like a bad idea, never would I want to shut my engine off while driving. If anything install an engine brake.

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
Turning off the key would do the same thing, that said its 100% illegal in all 50 states (heck in most just coasting in neutral is illegal)

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^Downshift and use brakes when needed. Turning the engine off while driving is both dangerous and illegal. You got brakes and a shifter knob for that very purpose

racin460

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Huh, guess we need to call all the big engine manufactures and tell them it's illegal to make engine brakes. Because all they are is electric solenoids that hold the exhaust valves open about .010 and technically the engine won't run so, yes you are shutting the engine off. Guess will have to start telling all truck drivers to start down shifting and use more brakes!

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Turning the engine off and a "jake brake" on a semi are two different things. That should be fairly obvious for most of us in my opinion.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Well, I don't like where this is going. There are various types of engine/driveline/exhaust brakes that HD engine manuafactures use and each of which serves its purpose. I am not aware of any that shut the engine "OFF" A jacobs brake is disabled when revs get down to a certain point and fuel still gets injected when a jake is in use, and an engine will still run will an exhaust or driveline brake activated.
The engine driven pullies must ALWAYS be turning when the vehicle is in motion. For obvious reasons

This is going to get interesting!!!

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As long as the engine is rotating at a reasonable speed you'll still have power brakes and steering. Heck you could still have AC. That said, cutting fuel to the IP wouldn't do anything more to slow you down than just downshifting, and downshifting would be a whole lot safer.

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
I'm talking about killing fuel while downshifting. A momentary!!! Switch on your stick shift. We all know how gassers engine brake. Image the fuel cut off working more like a butterfly valve on a carb or a throttle body

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most newer diesels do exactly that...if the engine RPM is above idle but the throttle lever is in the idle position, the engine isn't getting any fuel whatsoever. I was actually under the impression that it was this way with the IDI's as well; I'm not certain either way, though...but this is definitely the case with my Jetta; I've verified this using a connection to my laptop that, among other things, measures fuel flow to the injectors.

With that said, so little fuel is injected into the cylinders at idle that I don't think cutting off fuel while going downhill (which is not tantamount to shutting the engine down; the engine's still going to be spinning at whatever RPM the drivetrain's pushing it at) is going to make enough of a difference to be worth the effort. I could be mistaken, though...