Front wheel bearings socket?

Reaction score
Hello.

I need to replace my balljoints and wheel bearings.

I am used to my 89' bronco, which takes a 4-notch large bearing socket.

What type of socket will I need to remove the wheel bearings on my 94' f-350 4x4?

runaway!

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Someone else should know for certain, but I think you need the same style spindle nut socket - but for a Dana 60.

Andrew M. Frankli

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don't really need to buy the socket -- it makes it easier, but it is not absolutely necessary. The socket I have is for the smaller f-250 HD front axle and wouldn't fit my F-350. So I just carefully tapped counterclockwise on a nut flat with a drift and it threaded off with my fingers. Same for re-install. Snugged it up with fingers, tapped it carefully with hammer and long skinny drift, then backed off to spec.

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Orilleys rents tools. Get one from there. I HAVE put the drift on and knocked them into place in the past, but think about safety and losing a bearing at the worst time. Is it worth it to risk it for $40ish bux?

SWS

sootman73

Reaction score
the back i dont use a socket but the front i def do. the preload it much harder to set without the socket in the front just because the nuts are so much farther into the hub. and make sure you get the locking pin on the inner nut lined up right with the locking ring or it will break off and can cause damage in the bearings and also let the bearings come loose....

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't want to try it that way. Too hard to set the torque properly on reassembly. Get the tool.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Orilleys rents tools. Get one from there. I HAVE put the drift on and knocked them into place in the past, but think about safety and losing a bearing at the worst time. Is it worth it to risk it for $40ish bux?

SWS

X2. The right socket is a much safer bet. I've got the socket for both the front and the rear. I rarely ever use them, but just needing them once was worth the price for my and my families safety when using the truck.

Heath

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
X3, I'm doing my rears right now, they torque at 60 pounds and then turn back 5 clicks, pretty much impossible to do correctly otherwise.

I think the lack of precision install was causing the seals to leak.

My nuts were all banged up from what looks like a screwdrive and a hammer, next time I'm at Pick and Pull I'm gonna grab a couple good ones if I can find them, one side looks real bad and the other is different, probably replaced from being even worse, then it looks like it was banged back on.

I paid $50.00 just for the rear tool, don't remember how much the front one was, but no choice in the matter for my ability to sleep at night.

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
i had a post with pics of what u need, search back a few pages.

who ever suggested the drift/hammer method is giving me the shudders...while it works for removal...how do u know u are setting the pre-load? also far to easy to damage the spindle nut that way. for a field/emecgency fix ya, but not in regular practice.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Heath,

You ain't right............ What he said didn't register like that until you pointed it out......