Front wheel bearing in a 4x4?

velacreations

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I started noticing a sound in my truck at high speeds:
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?65039-Noise-at-high-speeds

I looked at both wheels in detail today, and on the right, where the spindle/shaft goes into the wheel, it is off-center. The driver's side was centered correctly. I assume this means my bearing is going out.

It's a 94 7.3 4x4 F250. It's got auto-locking hubs.

How hard is it to change out the front bearings? Any special tools or things to watch for? It's 4x4, so I don't want to mess anything up.

Should I go ahead and do both wheels?

Anyone have part numbers?

Last edited:

velacreations

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could you get a pic of what you're talking about?

I'm not sure I understand "where the spindle goes into the wheel."

hmm, let me see if I can find a photo of it somewhere. It's the shaft going into the wheel. The thing that turns the wheel :). Looks to be about 2-3" in diameter.

velacreations

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok, sorry for the photos, it is dark out there, but maybe you can see it.

there's a joint there and where it goes into the wheel housing, the gap on the bottom is bigger than the top. It is not centered, but the driver's side one is.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Wicked97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That doesn't have anything to do with wheel bearings.
Try prying it around and see if its got play. The little dust seal can flop around making it look off center when its not.

Wicked97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A note on wheel bearings.

If you don't know the last time they were inspected and repacked your way over due.

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Each front hub has 3 bearings .. not just 2... If I'm seeing the picture right.. it's likely the drive shaft carrier bearing which mounts in the back of the wheel spindle [hope I got that part name right] has given up.

So far.. every one I've pulled off has not been serviced properly.. or lubed in forever... There is a seal that goes with the bearing [needle type bearing that carries the axle shaft through the hub to the 4x4 lockout and lets the wheel spin when you are not in 4x4.

Oreilly auto has the bearings , I just put a full set when I rebuilt my 87 F250.. others also. .. I'm sure..
if it's making noise.. bearing is ruined.. next will be the hub.. do it now!!

velacreations

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A note on wheel bearings.

If you don't know the last time they were inspected and repacked your way over due.

yeah, they probably need it, not sure if the previous owner did it ever (I've only had the truck for a year <10,000 miles)

Those are the U joints and NO that does not mean the Wheel bearings are going out!
well, if there's play there, wouldn't that mean the bearings have play?

velacreations

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That doesn't have anything to do with wheel bearings.
Try prying it around and see if its got play. The little dust seal can flop around making it look off center when its not.

yeah, you're right, it's just that dust seal is loose, making it look like the shaft is off center.

hmmmm, I guess I need to take it in to someone next week and check it out. This noise is making me worry, and I thought I had found something!

velacreations

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if it's making noise.. bearing is ruined.. next will be the hub.. do it now!!
I'm not sure the bearing is making noise, it's just hard to track down the cause of the noise. That dust seal had me fooled, and when I saw it of center, I assumed there was a bearing there that was going out.

Back to square 1 to figure out this noise and potential problem.

Thanks for the help, guys!

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
G. Mann: that's good to know.
Never knew it had a bearing.
I've always wandered though.

A unbalanced/bumpy tire will make the axle shaft wobble, in turn giving the squeal you hear.
Have a 00 f550 that did exactly that, new tire and the noise quit.

velacreations

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah, I thought it might have been related to a bumpy tire, but I've moved them around and even put on different tires, and the sound is still there. It's strange, and it's loud enough to make me worry.

Last edited:

texcl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need to jack the wheel up and spin it listening for any noise most common is a rumble when a wheel bearing is going out. I will bet you that joint needs to be replaced while your in there. there are going to be 3 bearings and 3 seals you will need to replace. you will need a special spindle nut socket to remove the hub. dental picks and spring clip pliers come in real handy too. Not a hard job but you must be very clean on assembly.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine got a rumble a few weeks after I bought it. Turns out that someone had packed the bearings with white lithium grease. So i had to buy new bearings and races. Was not hard to do at all.