Jimmylb01

Reaction score
Thanks
Thanked 3 Times in 3 PostsMentioned
0 Post(s)
Tagged
0 Thread(s)
Default Front suspension questions
Hey y'all, started work on the front suspension. Fist up remove the breaks, well the one bolt that holds on the caliper decided to snap, so yeah going to have to work on getting it out. Well decided to check out the "kin pin" (not sure if that's correct term for this set up). Well there is play and I'm wondering how to repair. Looks like both sides have a cap below the grease zert. Any info would be appreciated.

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
King pins can be real tough if you do not have access to the recommended reamer for the bushings. Removing king pins usually need a 'rose bud' tip nozzle for quick heat.
A set of loaded calipers & new Hoses is a simpler way to upgrade on the older trucks. Can usually find at http://www.rockauto.com and get a 5% discount code since they are a supporter on this site. I personally use the riveted HD pads since I have had a couple of 'glued' pads come off & ruin rotors. RA has good prices on rotors also.

Rick

Jimmylb01

Reaction score
Rick, thanks for the info, from other searching they recommend taking to a machine shop to ream out the new bushings. We have a few places around here that work on big trucks that may be able to help. On my 84 it appears the the rotor and hub are one piece. So replacing everything at this point looks like the best option. Thanks for the advice.

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
HD truck shop would be better for me. They would be more experienced IMHO. Steepleton Tire here does a great job on mine. Have them replace pivot bushing at same time. Adjustable poly radius bushings are way better than OEM. I have the Russell Speed Bleeders on my brakes now. Easiest 1-man bleeding w/o buying tools I don't use often. Calipers, rotors and hoses are pretty simple. Pull rear drums and check them.

Rick

Jimmylb01

Reaction score
That's next on the list the rear brakes after the front end is taken care of, want to make sure the truck is mechanically sound especially if my teenagers are going to be using it.

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Same reasons I keep all of mine mechanically sound. People may dodge it due to looks but starts, stops & goes very well.

Rick

Jimmylb01

Reaction score
Yes sir, and with a fairly unknown history I rather take the time to do it right the first time. I like my things to last this truck being no exception.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Staff online