Front shock interchange / safe removal at the JY ?

ironhorse2021

ironhorse2021
Reaction score
In my travels to local junk yards, I'm keeping my eyes open for a nice set of front shocks. Maybe a pair that were replaced just before the truck was wrecked.

Which year front shocks will interchange with my 88 F250 4x4 (dana44HD TTB)?

What's the best way to remove them at the JY without having them shoot out to full length ? No jacks allowed out there.

Thanks for your input and have a great Easter weekend.

dmaxjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure on 88. On my 84 which has a bolt hole on the bottom and a stud on the top. I got a set off of a chevy 2500hd and it really improved the ride. On my 91 which has a dana 50 ttb that one has a bolt hole on top and bottom. I haven't changed these yet.

ironhorse2021

ironhorse2021
Reaction score
Yup, Regals. Nice bunch there. Went to Michaels next door a few days ago. Found a few good parts. I didn't think about looking on Chevys for shocks.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
i like regals. i don't know it if is still there, but last summer they had a slant nose f-250 that had a facotry turbo on it. does Michaels have any diesels right now?

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
One way to cross reference what shocks are on what is goto a website like Bilstein (Look in my sig) and look up your truck. Then you can look at the specifics for the shock on the front and rear. They have an application chart that shows this part number works on XXXX trucks.......

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Shouldn't have any trouble getting front shocks off. Most yards will have an interchange computer to see what fits. Even for stuff where you do need a jack, there are usually plenty of factory jacks still poked up under hoods where you can get to them, just bring your own chain and straps to secure things

gatorman21218

Reaction score
if they are like my old ones then they should be a snap provided you can get the bolts out. the right side shock didnt expand and the drivers side took about a minute to fully expand. these front ends take a tremendious beating so odds are there arnt many good ones out there.

And remember to bring your metric tools because the shocks are metric.