Front end rattling over bumps

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The front left side of my 94 f250 makes a rattlling/looseness noise when I go over a rought road. It sounds like what happens when a front sway bar bushing fails on a car. Does any one know what I am talking about? Is this a common problem? The only suspension components that are new are the shocks. I am going in for an alignment on Friday, but I don't think an alignment is going to fix this rapid clunking/rattling. Any ideas?

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
Could be your brake caliper, mine were driving me crazy. Goofyexponent told me about a shim kit that would tighten them up but the parts store around here thought I was crazy when I asked for a kit. So I made my own. No more rattle or clatter.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Could be your brake caliper, mine were driving me crazy. Goofyexponent told me about a shim kit that would tighten them up but the parts store around here thought I was crazy when I asked for a kit. So I made my own. No more rattle or clatter.

x2.

Sometimes a new set of caliper retaining pins will work also.

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score

x2.

when I bought the truck the guy told me that the ratteling started after a brake job, he said something about a spring was not put on correctly or something. So I looked and saw the springs that keep the pads off the rotors were in place so I just passed it off that he did not know what he was talking about.

Do either of you have a link to a shim kit?

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I called the local dealer, and the parts that I think I need are no longer available though ford. I am going to go by a local parts store after work, to see what is included in the front brake hardware kit, the only things pictured are the caliper bolt/clips and the anti rattle clips that go on the side of the pads.

A_G

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tie rod end..will make the noise on the down side of the bump theres not as much pressure on the rod end keeping it in place and it iwll make a rattling sound.. A loose bumper will cause it to.

toolbox lid rattling...

All things my f150 has done

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
x2.

I got a set of shims like posted in this post....there is no where to put those on my brakes.

I also got a new set of caliper pins for the left side, so I did replace those and the rattling is not there any more.

Where would those shims go? There is no where for them to fit on my set up.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you sure it's not the swaybar? You could take it off to be sure.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Does it also shimmy when stopping (especially at high speed)? Could be the radius arm bushings. they do not give a warning when going out, and make a rattle noise going over bumps.

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you sure it's not the swaybar? You could take it off to be sure.

I'll check it

Does your truck have the pins like these?

http://www.autoequipmentplus.com/bp90.html

If that is what you use then the shims fit under the bottom pin.

yes that is what my pins look like, but the shims that were sold to me do not look like they will fit under the pins, they look way too big.

Does it also shimmy when stopping (especially at high speed)? Could be the radius arm bushings. they do not give a warning when going out, and make a rattle noise going over bumps.

I have not noticed that.

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
yes that is what my pins look like, but the shims that were sold to me do not look like they will fit under the pins, they look way too big.

If the new pins stopped the rattling then you shouldn't need the shims. The shims are for calipers that are worn and fit loose. That is the cause of the rattle. It the pins fixed it then your calipers probably aren't worn.
When the brake job was done they probably reused the old pins and that's why it was rattling.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grizzly Wrecker

Members online