Front end needs some TLC

bignastystacks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I noticed the other day on the way to work that my front end is becoming a bit loose. When I was driving it was like the wheels have an inch of play in the steering. It would all the suddend slight jerk to the right then I would correct a bit to the left then when I went back to the right there was the slight jerk again. I am thinking ball joints but I wanted to get some input. Ill get my tires rotated and balanced probably today or tomorrow.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only way to know for sure is get under there and wiggle and pull on the components looking for play. If you don't want to mess with it, most alignment shops will check it out for an alignment, and then come back and tell you what you need. I usually then just take it home to do the work myself and they charge me a small fee for looking at it.

bignastystacks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replace a cracked front pass. rotor yesterday. I was thinking that it might be grabbing at the crack but that wasnt it. I do have some loose tie rods so I am looking into that. I am also going to get another dampner and put two on. I gotta do the other rotor tonight too. Any other thoughts?

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One of my tie rods popped off the other day at school when I hit a speed bump, the tires went opposite directions and I was basically stuck. I had to replace it in the school parking lot and it sat there on blocks for two nights LOL

Your better off doing it now then waiting for those to break

87crewdually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Adding steering dampners are bandaids in most cases. If the front end geometery is in check you don't need any extra shock to mask a problem. Check your intermediate steering shaft, the joints are commonly the problem.

Last edited:

starmilt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X2 on what six banger said. You can't make it drive right with a loose tie rod, no matter what you do. Plus you stand a chance of killing everybody big enough to die.

bignastystacks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Plus you stand a chance of killing everybody big enough to die.

No clue what that means... I know its not safe thats why I havent had my son in the truck til i get it fixed.

I ordered the new tie rods today... ALL OF THEM. It will prob. take a week for the tie rods to get here. I am going to pickup some new shocks on the way home. My column is out of an 03 and has no play at all. I have already been down that road.

87crewdually: I figured because of the 20" rims it wouldnt hurt but after buying new rotors pads and shocks on the way home Ill have to wait til payday at least.

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No clue what that means... I know its not safe thats why I havent had my son in the truck til i get it fixed.

I ordered the new tie rods today... ALL OF THEM. It will prob. take a week for the tie rods to get here. I am going to pickup some new shocks on the way home. My column is out of an 03 and has no play at all. I have already been down that road.

87crewdually: I figured because of the 20" rims it wouldnt hurt but after buying new rotors pads and shocks on the way home Ill have to wait til payday at least.

Your column can be tight and there can still be a lot of play in your pitman arm....

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
You can replace all of your steering rod ends very affordably at Rock Auto I replaced the whole shootin' match a couple of years ago, adjustment sleeves and all so I wouldn't have to fight the rust. It was nice that way, just assemble a replacement steering linkage ,pop the pop setup off , line them up,pop the new one on and make some fine adjustments

bignastystacks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ended up ordering the parts yesterday 120 shipped for all the tie rods and sleeves.

I checked the pit man arm last night. It doesnt have any play but as you guys said the tie rod ends are sloppy. Hopefully they come fast and more hopefully they take care of this issue.

My power steering setup is covered in fluid. Any of you guys know the common areas of leaks for PS?

87crewdually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Give it a good degreasing then run it looking for the leak. Check the return line for leaks along with the pressure line ends that contain an o-ring that can leak. Then there is the seal at the output shaft by the pitman arm and the input shaft could leak too.

rckslash2010

Reaction score
Mine had a pinhole leak in the return line. I just cut it and put a rubber sleeve on it, and secured it with a couple of hose clamps.

bignastystacks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its coming from up high somewhere so I am thinking that the return hose (if thats the one on the top/right side).

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
Thanks for the update! I need to do this to my truck, the tie rods are bad and I am worried it won't make it much longer... :eek:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online