front crank oil seal sleeve doesn't fit

ah1988ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought a fel-pro-oil seal with the sleeve and the sleeve is too small? It will not fit on the harmonic balancer? and the balancer doesn't have a sleeve on it....ideas

Frstdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much too small?
They are a very tight fit.
I have placed balancers in my deep freeze for about an hour and used a heat gun/hair dryer to heat up the sleeve then slip it on.
After getting the sleeve on I would let the balancer get to room temp before installing it on the engine.
Some of the pros on here may have better ideas.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
please post a pic of what you have and the packaging with the part number.
this is what I've been using for years with no issues.
that with the felpro front crank seal and I'm good-to-go.
the sleeve you see installed in the pic is in a meal cup you use to beat on with a BFH for installation. it's that simple.

You must be registered for see images attach

Kiwif150

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much too small?
They are a very tight fit.
I have placed balancers in my deep freeze for about an hour and used a heat gun/hair dryer to heat up the sleeve then slip it on.
After getting the sleeve on I would let the balancer get to room temp before installing it on the engine.
Some of the pros on here may have better ideas.

I do this as well ..... i have a small oven in my shop just for stuff like this - also works well for "cooking off" gear oil from brake shoes when an axle seal lets go. Using this trick is about the best way to fit a new ring gear onto flywheels too.

ah1988ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
please post a pic of what you have and the packaging with the part number.
this is what I've been using for years with no issues.
that with the felpro front crank seal and I'm good-to-go.
the sleeve you see installed in the pic is in a meal cup you use to beat on with a BFH for installation. it's that simple.

the seal is at the shop right now the part number is 5066 if order 2 of these things thinking the first one was wrong but they were both wrong, I did find an old oilburners post where one of the members used the one you are showing in the photo so I went to o'rileys last night and ordered one and it works! but it is weird in my fel-pro parts catalog it says to use 5066 for the front crank whats up with that? cause it is definitely wrong

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the seal is at the shop right now the part number is 5066 if order 2 of these things thinking the first one was wrong but they were both wrong, I did find an old oilburners post where one of the members used the one you are showing in the photo so I went to o'rileys last night and ordered one and it works! but it is weird in my fel-pro parts catalog it says to use 5066 for the front crank whats up with that? cause it is definitely wrong

I ran into that same problem, was in a hurry and had access to a lathe, so I turned down the balancer so it would fit. I might regret this years later if I ever have to replace the sleeve and get the right one, but it worked. Obviously this sleeve that doesn't fit is too thick, the od fits the seal fine, but it just lacks being able to drive it on the balancer.

Fordtruckfan89

Reaction score
I think I know what you are talking about, I just picked up a skf speedi sleeve for that reason, the thick one I guess is for a different engine.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726