Front cover stripped

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perhaps this is an overly simplistic view, but for you guys who stripped out your bolt holes, have you ever considered using a torque wrench? They have specs for these fasteners for a reason ya know. Just sayin....

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did it to mine, I ended up just welding two 5/16''x1.25'' studs to the plate.I screwed the studs into the stripped holes about a 1/4'' and just welded around each. It is an easy permanent repair. It also made putting the pump back on a breeze with the studs. I did it with the cover still in the truck.
For those who are capable of welding, that's a great idea ;Sweet didn't even occur to me...even though my holes are fine, I may have to find a welder and do that mod the next time I pull my water pump. That kills two birds with one stone; in addition to making the bolts a non-issue, they can help you guide the water pump into the right spot without too much in the way of issues...

I like it!! ;Sweet

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you weld, just make sure it is a full weld. Fluids passing by that stud will not be well recieved.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
As typ4 posted. This is a mteel plate and international has a special flat nut spot welded to the back of the plate. I have no idea why these nuts strip out either other than being soft. Careful.... The bottom two bolts fit the same type nuts in the plate too..

George D.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Perhaps this is an overly simplistic view, but for you guys who stripped out your bolt holes, have you ever considered using a torque wrench? They have specs for these fasteners for a reason ya know. Just sayin....

Yup thats waht I used pulled about 8ftlbs then striped:dunno

jacobbingham

Reaction score
Today i took out the radiator and cleaned everything up inside and out. I just got this truck a few weeks ago only needing a water pump. When i took the bottom hose off all of this red liquid came out(Bars Radiator Stop Leak) its all gunked up in the bottom and the heater hose that connects to the bottom of the radiator is stopped up with it.:mad: I got most of it out and will get the rest tomorrow but should i get it pressure tested to make sure it doesn't leak? Also unbolted the front cover plate and pulled it back enough to drill tap and helicoil it and made sure the helicoil wasnt passed the little nut welded there. Tomorrow i will be installing the water pump and radiator and fresh antifreeze. Which kind should i use? Also should I mix with distilled water or all antifreeze?

sassyrel

Reaction score
FWIW pulling the cover with the engine in the truck isn't the easiest thing, but it is possible...I did it in 2004. You won't hate life quite as much if you pull the grille, radiator, and a/c condenser, but that should be all you need to disassemble in the front end.

On the converse, keep in mind that, when you're drilling, any metal shavings you can't recover will be going into the oil pan via the timing gears.

cure??? some vacuum cleaners,you can hook to the outlet side of the vacuum,,hence PRESSURE!!! now,,the pressure aint high, but the volumn is!! so, take a piece of pvc..that will fit thru the oil fill neck,tape with red green tape,,tape to vacuum hose,,which will now be pressure,,and fire the vacuum..drill the final bit of the hole slower,,and the bits of metal will come back thru the bit........................ your welcome,no extra charge...do the same,,when the hole is retaped larger also...or is used for the helicoil.......

jacobbingham

Reaction score
Well finally got it together and now that it hasn't been ran in over 2 weeks when I started it there was a thumping coming through the intake but it was a cold cold start since its been in the 50s here for a week so I let it warm up and it kinda went away and hit the gas and it quieted down a lot what could this be? Just because it hasnt ran and oil hasn't gotten up there a while or what? Never had this happen before.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will say this again, if these engines have high miles valve springs get weak. That can cause the intake noise because of higher than normal oil pressure holding a lifter/valve open.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle