Front cover stripped

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If he going to pull the plate, is there room to weld a nut on the back?

Never looked but that would be a good upgrade during overhaul or cover off even weld on a thicker piece and tap thru. i would use a shou;der type nut and grind the excess off the inside.

stumiister

Diesel Truck Tech
Reaction score
No i dont but I do remember installing it to the point the break off tab was at the end of the nut on the inside of the cover so some of it did stick out of the front which I cut off flush with a die grinder.

stumiister

Diesel Truck Tech
Reaction score
Jacobbingham that link for those inserts you suggested are placces where you have more metal to work with, I have used those inserts before and they do work great in this particular application I think a regular heil coil will be good enough

RANOVRU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh god something else for me to worry about tommorrow when bolting the new pump on, great.

While we're on the subject what are the TQ specs for the WP? After reading this Im wondering if I shouldnt just hand tighten the 4 bolts on the cover, if they even thread.

FWIW, did the original poster use the new bolts or reuse the old ones for lack of news? My pump came with new ones dont know if they all do.

Anyone have any advice on using the new ones vs the old? Knowing now about this problem makes me wonder if the new sharper bolts try to cut into the already weak worn threads? I found out my pumps been replaced once already which means someone else has already had the chance to screw up those sensative areas.

Wonderfull...

Last edited:

jacobbingham

Reaction score
Thankyou guys;Sweet I will have to go get them tomorrow and hopefully fix it. I will post back on progress and how it goes tomorrow.

stumiister

Diesel Truck Tech
Reaction score
Ranovru the bolts your refering to require about 14 lbft of torque but check your service manual or the instructions that came with the water pump

jacobbingham

Reaction score
Ranovru: I did get the new bolts and used them but the driver side top bolt stripped. I did compare the new ones to the old and the new ones are slightly longer than the old ones.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
barely snug with rtv on them will be fine. no telling how many times they been out.

jacobbingham

Reaction score
When i went to fastenals website i looked for shorter ones like what i posted. It says their shorter than the ones at napa so i thought they'd work without trimming :dunno but ill take up your suggestion on Napa but hopefully they have them in stock if not i might try fastenal

Napa 5/16 -18 .469
Fastenal 5/16 -18 .437

I could do the shorter one so i dont have to worry about hitting the timing gear with it

George D.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its not aluminum, and I think an 8mm course thread will grab enough to hold. That plate is real thin so be careful, and that plate wont helicoil worth a crap.

I'd try this befor going the heilicoil rout. if it works you wont have to pull the pump.

Also What is with all the water pumps this week? I did mine theres 3 or 4 threads on here each with other people comenting on them being about to do one :dunno

ford390gashog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did it to mine, I ended up just welding two 5/16''x1.25'' studs to the plate.I screwed the studs into the stripped holes about a 1/4'' and just welded around each. It is an easy permanent repair. It also made putting the pump back on a breeze with the studs. I did it with the cover still in the truck.