Front caliper sticking. Again.

noddaz

Reaction score
Well now. It's that time of year when I break my truck out and clean up the yard. (1991 F250 diesel 4x4, not a daily driver. sits most of the time)

And the left front caliper is sticking. Last year the right front caliper stuck.

I have replaced both calipers a couple of times over the years with this truck. Replaced both front brake hoses about 4 years ago.

This is really annoying. But I am getting good practice replacing calipers and sometimes pads. But I want that to stop. Is it the cheap calipers I buy from AZ or Advanced? Or is it something else more sinister... Maybe I just need to drive it more often? Any help would be appreciated.

Scott

noddaz

Reaction score
Good point. I should probably do a through flush and get anything old and nasty out...

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have this same issue, check your rubber lines going into calipers, its been better since I replaced one but I got a few to go

Wave

Reaction score
If I remember correctly there are two types of Pistons available on the rebuilt calipers. Get the metal one! I think the composite one does not use an oring and relies on a very tight fit. I've had problems with these. Flushing the fluid wouldn't hurt either!

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stupid question, but are you sure the piston's what's sticking?

I found a stuck caliper on my truck a few years ago, but the piston moved as it should...what froze was the points where the caliper slides on the mount. I used a good quality grease at every sliding point and reused the caliper, and all's been well ever since ;Sweet

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Stupid question, but are you sure the piston's what's sticking?

I found a stuck caliper on my truck a few years ago, but the piston moved as it should...what froze was the points where the caliper slides on the mount. I used a good quality grease at every sliding point and reused the caliper, and all's been well ever since ;Sweet

x2....

I had an issue with my truck, when you would apply the brakes, it would pull to the right.... I pulled the right side apart a couple of times, and didn't find any issues. I was checking another issue and had the left front tore apart. I found the caliper slide pins (I have a newer truck with the caliper bracket the caliper bolts to and the whole thing slides, not the slide points like the older calipers) were completely frozen. The pistons were moving fine, but the caliper would move to allow the outside pad to be pulled in by the pistons. I replaced the caliper bracket, and now the truck stops nice and straight......

You must be registered for see images attach

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As snicklas said, use Grease to lube the pins, oil will wash away, don't fill the hole the pins go into. There should be grease under/in the boot. If the pins are rusty, polish them up, any rust and rust keeps swelling up.