Front brakes

The FNG

NOT a Powerstroke!
Reaction score
I'm finally getting geared up to get my front brakes done. The front end almost bounces off the ground when I go to slow down! My brakes were done at les Schwab about 45k ago (front and back). Fronts had new calipers, hardware, pads, wheel bearing packed, etc. rears had new pads, adjustment, hardware, turned drums, etc. since then, my rear drums fell apart (about 20 pieces) and they've had to rebuild them at least twice, the fronts have had rotors replaced and turned twice. I think I learned my lesson about going to les Schwab.

So I've compared prices to do the brakes around my area and it turns out to be $375-575 depending on the condition of the rotors. If I can do it myself, I priced parts out to $185 plus shipping ($215 total). Kind of hard to argue with.

So far, I've got new heavy duty rotors (raybestos 6084) and severe duty pads (Wagner sx450), and a disc brake hardware kit. I've read that I need a spindle nut socket (please help which one) and a new inner seal (not sure what the seal is for, so help again please). I also plan on re-packing my wheel bearings while I'm in there.

So with all that said, what else should I consider, buy, or do? Thanks for help!

1994 f250 4x4 auto hubs dana 50

drinkypoo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rotor is bolted to the hub, so the hub has to come off and the rotor has to be removed from the hub. When you remove the hub, you must inspect and if necessary replace the seal. You should also inspect and if necessary replace the bearings, and races, since you've got the hub off anyway. (I know you said you plan to do that, just saying.) The seal is cheap so it's usually a good idea to replace it on principle, but it is considered mandatory when repacking bearings as it is removed and this typically damages it. If you have the right kind of puller, it is sometimes possible to get it out without damaging it, usually by pulling the bearing which pushes on the seal. The HF rear wheel bearing etc puller kit will do this job on the dana 50, and thus presumably 60.

If they're cheap you might consider replacing the brake lines whether they look like they need it or not. Otherwise, only if they need it :) Don't forget the brake caliper slider grease, if it didn't come with your kit which it often does.

I just did one side, I will soon do the other... I'm not doing the brakes which are fine, but I am doing the bearings and seal. I have whole loaded calipers right here, but they have phenolic pistons so I might just use the pads when it finally comes time.

The FNG

NOT a Powerstroke!
Reaction score
Thanks for the info! What do I put the brake caliper grease on? I went to les Schwab yesterday to get my truck back and I talked to them a little. They said every time they do front brakes they replace the calipers so they can guarantee them. Should mine be ok with 45k on them or is that a replacement part too?

firehawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info! What do I put the brake caliper grease on? I went to les Schwab yesterday to get my truck back and I talked to them a little. They said every time they do front brakes they replace the calipers so they can guarantee them. Should mine be ok with 45k on them or is that a replacement part too?

Calipers are not a wear item. Only replace when they are defective. This is just a way for them to charge people more money. No need for caliper grease, as you should have four pistons that are contained within the caliper. Some calipers slide on pins which need grease, but yours do not.

firehawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They changed the brakes between 1992 and 1994? I'm willing to believe that's the case, I guess. But my brakes have slider pins.

I am not sure on all the options these trucks had. If yours does have slider pins, just use bearing grease. On my cars that have them, I regrease whenever I check the pads for wear, and do the bearings while I am there, too.

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
No need for caliper grease, as you should have four pistons that are contained within the caliper. Some calipers slide on pins which need grease, but yours do not.

Do wha...?? The pistons have a boot and have seals, however, the pins are entirely different and are what hold the caliper in place... I have never seen a caliper that doesn't slide on pins. I don't really see how they would work very good if they couldn't move around.

You need to grease the pins with a graphite lubricant or something. You don't want to use a grease that will screw up the braking capability if it gets on the rotors.

drinkypoo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do wha...?? The pistons have a boot and have seals, however, the pins are entirely different and are what hold the caliper in place... I have never seen a caliper that doesn't slide on pins. I don't really see how they would work very good if they couldn't move around

A proper caliper has opposed pistons and there's no need for slider nonsense. With that said, my Audi has sliders too. What I greased both with was napa sil-glide.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
These fords do not have opposed calipers. Lol
That's sil-glide is some good stuff. Got mine from autozone, but it was name brand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk