From no leaks to 3 leaks

Matt_INW

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well my weekend hasn't gone as planned. We were going to a funeral for a 9 year old family friend (300 miles away) Fri/Sat, and I planned to take the truck so I could also pick something up from family while I was over there. I noticed the day before there was transmission fluid on the ground. Fixed it, just replaced a short rubber hose between radiator and metal line on the engine. The old hose was fairly hard, it had lost most of it's "rubberiness".

The next day (Friday) left on the trip, got a few miles from home and when I filled up I checked once more for any leaks and found there was still a leak though minor, a different hose. Obviously there's a theme, so time to replace a lot of the rubber. With this "new" leak feature starting out of nowhere I opted to return home and leave the truck.

I got the truck 2 months ago, zero leaks, nada till this last few days. I think this COLD weather (low to mid 20's day and 10ish at night), plus old rubber adds up to many bad things in, UGH. We got back last night and today I "was" going to replace any/all rubber that was questionable. And then it got worse...

I was about to replace another transmission hose when I noticed that the red fluid on the drivers side wasn't possibly from the transmission. It's either the power steering pressure hose, or the top of the gear box (which was replaced several years ago). Or maybe even both. Ok fine, whatever, guess today will be longer. But wait, there's more... :eek:

I backed the truck out of the garage, and there's a trail of oil dripping, awesome. Something in upper back part of the engine is leaking bad enough that there's a constant drip, every second or more frequently. I can't tell where the leak is coming from without taking off some of the air intake and perhaps turbo assembly.

So as much as I hate to do it, looks like I'll be having it towed to a Diesel shop in Spokane. Hopefully one of them has room to work on it Monday or Tuesday so I can get it back by Thursday. And hopefully there aren't more leaks waiting to happen, though I won't be surprised.

And that's my weekend! Not looking forward to the next few days. :mad:

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a leak in the upper part of my engine when I got it. Turned out to be the intake leaking. Check your valve covers!

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sucks. The drip down the back real annoying--I have to do the cover gaskets in my '91 also. Be happy it's just rubber hose- At least it's running!

Matt_INW

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got it back last night.

New power steering pressure hose, new valve cover gaskets, replaced donut fuel filter with one that has the water separator built in, tightened fuel lines on injector pump (biggest leaks here), tightened a bolt or 3 on the turbo.

Annoyed I didn't spend some more time on it. But if I had it wouldn't have been ready for this weekend. At least it's no longer leaking.

needlenose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What you're experiencing is a feature that Ford and International build into all IDI powered trucks. If it stops leaking, you have a problem. Never drive an IDI that doesn't have a puddle under it; it's probably fixing to come apart!