Frisco Timing Clinic

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Those that got their timing done at Calvins bbq please post an update as to how your truck is running. I would like to know if this timing changed anything for the trucks that got done... Thanks guys.... I had a great time helping others. Its nice to see others with like interests.....:D

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gary,

Did you ever get your MT1480 working properly? I shipped my back 2/26/10. Still waiting for my refund.:dunno:backoff

Heath

02AutoWag

Reaction score
Thanks Gary for the work you did on the truck.:thumbsup:

The meter (or my truck) wasn't cooperating with Gary. After numerous attempts to get any sort of reading it finally came through. Note to Gary...did you adjust the meter "zero" during these attempts? I saw you messing with the meter's up and down arrows in an attempt to get things right. What was the purpose?

So the meter finally came through with a 2.2 deg reading. I think it was four attempts to get it bouncing around 9.0-9.4 degrees at roughly 2000RPM.

This was on my 1989 CC SRW E4OD with 245,000 miles on it. The pump and injectors were done about 70,000 miles ago by the previous owner (paperwork at home to verify). I'm currently burning commercially dispensed B5 biodiesel.

-The truck does start easier in the morning.
-The truck is noticeably louder when the motor is cold.
-The truck appears to be quieter once the motor is warm.
-The truck produces a constant black stream of soot under any level of pedal input (not blackout, but still visible in the side mirror).
-The truck is a non-turbo and I don't think I notice any difference in power output.

From the other posts regarding timing, I was expecting a whole new truck experience given that my timing was soooo far out. It just doesn't feel that way...

Since this past Friday, my wife and I have loaded and emptied 2,200lbs of gravel, 3,800lbs of moss rock, and 12,000lbs (4,000lbs x 3 loads) of soil. It got the job done.

Am I expecting too much of the truck after this timing job?

-Russ

02AutoWag

Reaction score
I'm curious were you getting the noticable smoke at all levels before you timed it.

Prior to the timing adjustment, there was no smoke cruising the freeways. Once I needed more than about half a pedal, there was a little visible smoke.

I'd say my pre-timing "passing another vehicle" smoke looks like my post-timing steady state smoke. Now my post-timing "passing another vehicle" smoke is just a hair more than that. Remember, this is not a billowing blackout, but it is present. Also remember that we live in California, so any hints of smoke out of the tailpipe gets frowned upon.

I'd much prefer if there was no visible smoke at cruising speed, as my VWs are. But do not mind if they spew a little when I need to press the accelerator, as my chip tuned and large nozzle VWs do.

gandalf

Reaction score
Gary,

A followup is a good idea. The timing clinic can then become a learning experience for all parties.

I think your willingness to do the clinic for all those at the BBQ is exceptional. I appreciate it immensely, and I'm sure everyone else does also.

You remember that my truck stumbled a bit when it returned to idle. You had it up at about 2000 rpm, and let it return to idle. It went below idle for a couple seconds before increasing to a proper idle. It was hard to tell on the drive home whether there was a change in power, but it certainly sounder better. That was Sunday night.

Monday morning I went out to repark, and the engine would not start. I cracked the number two injector line after consulting with Calvin. No fuel came out when I cranked. I had previously had fuel come out the schraeder valve when cranking, and the WTS light stayed on for twelve seconds. It would seem that the IP has died. Thinking back, it had been just a bit harder starting the last several times.

You got to time it in the midst of it's death throws. We couldn't have gotten much closer to it's final belly-up. So, now I'm starting to save for a new IP. That may take a while.

Anyway, I greatly appreciate your efforts on my truck, as well as all the others. I just wish I had given you a more healthy specimen to work on.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That really sux to have a properly timed IP that then goes belly up. No good at all. I helped a member here and we got a similar result. That is his pump died not too long after we timed it.

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As you will recall, my dad's truck came in right at 9.0 so no change was necessary. His truck smokes like it sounds 02autowags truck is now doing. Does anyone else have this problem, or any thoughts on why it would smoke more? He reported seriously bad fuel mileage on the return trip to home over the Sierras. He ran his front tank dry just as he topped the Donner summit. This was pulling his new 23' approx 4500 lb bumper pull travel trailer. He did report that the rest of the trip seems quite a bit better than that stretch though. This seems consistent with my July trip to the Rubicon towing my Jeep where I calculated about 8 mpg with 3 passengers and my Jeep on a trailer (approx 6k lbs towed). I don't get why there's so much smoke, so little mileage, and kinda limp power:dunno
Travis..

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does nobody have any thoughts or theories about why there would be more smoke with the timing set up? When I bumped the timing on my Dodge, it took away a lot of smoke and REALLY woke up the mid-range power, why not on the IDI?

DragRag

Reaction score
If I recall my timing was at 2.5 and now it is at 9.5btdc. The truck starts faster, sounds better, pulls harder, and gets better mpg's. I am very happy with what you did for me for sure. I removed my tool boxes and rack before I came up, and I have found that I can now spin my tires from the extra power, and lack of weight in the back now. I have never been able to spin my tires before with or with out the boxes and rack though.

1994IDI

Reaction score
Truck runs basically the same from sea level on up to 6000+ feet. It does like to haul ass though, it'll cruise along at 75 all day long.
Travis..

Were you cruising at that altitude, while loaded at 75? That would certainly account for the fuel mileage.

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Were you cruising at that altitude, while loaded at 75? That would certainly account for the fuel mileage.

The bad mileage I reported was for towing over the Sierras and towing from my house in Sacramento to the Rubicon trail up towards Lake Tahoe area. He reported that on his trip east toward Reno (Donner pass) he only had like 2 places where he had to drop to 3rd gear, the rest was presumably done in 4th gear at somewhere around 50-55mph. I did tell him that he needs to keep the speed to 65ish when towing to keep the engine right around 2k rpm. I am just really curious as to why it (and 02autowag) would have so much, or increased smoke with more timing?
Travis..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online