Freeze plugs

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
I know I have at least one of these weeping on my truck and I am wondering if anybody has experience with the expanded rubber type replacement? I know the conventional kind is a metal disk that requires a special tool to set it in but I came across this kind where it has a rubber chunk whick is compressed to fit with a bolt and a couple metal plates. Anybody have any luck with these?

They look similar to freeze plug heaters and I am curious as to what people have to say about those as well. Thanks.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I don't see those temporary plugs working on these engines as there is a lip only about a quarter of an inch or so in. not enough room to set one of those things.
Really no way around it but to fix it properly. I suppose if one was desperate enough, you could wire wheel it real good around the edges and JB weld it up and pray it holds, pray being the operative word here. If you're runninng a zero pressure system, it would likely hold for a while.,
Otherwise see here

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
I think the ones I am looking at are a little different. They look like they have at least 3/4inch of contact area. I am looking at them on rockauto.
You must be registered for see images

Also I know about the tech article. I was just wondering if this was an easier/cheaper way. Thanks

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Yes the plugs have about 3/4 inch , but the hole on the block is only recessed about a quarter inch before there is a jagged lip that sticks inward about 1/4" all the way around , so to try to use one of those rubber plugs you would either put it in till it stopped on the lip , where there is not enough material there to hold the thing and it would pop right out, or stick a smaller one inside the actual hole, but that is narrow and sharp and it would quickly cut the thing and it would start leaking like a sieve., so , no, the rubber won't work.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had to use a couple of these in my boat (Ford 302 V8 power) after some nitwit do it yourselfer forgot to finish winterizing it. :rolleyes:

The rubber plugs lasted a whole season before I bit the bullet and replaced them half assedly with real ones. I think by the time it was said and done, I had more faith in the rubber ones. The metal ones made it through last year, so I can probably uncross my fingers after one more season. :D

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I had to use a couple of these in my boat (Ford 302 V8 power) after some nitwit do it yourselfer forgot to finish winterizing it. :rolleyes:

The rubber plugs lasted a whole season before I bit the bullet and replaced them half assedly with real ones. I think by the time it was said and done, I had more faith in the rubber ones. The metal ones made it through last year, so I can probably uncross my fingers after one more season. :D

They work great in small block gassers, or any normal engine with freeze plug bores that are machined all the way through. Unfortunately, our engines aren't made that way

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent