Frantz Bypass Oil Filter

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Idiabuse, we understand you are trying to push for everyone to use amsoil products and bypass oil filtration systems. You have made your point very clear many other times before in different threads. Leave the people alone who choose not to use amsoil and I'm sure others would appreciate if you didn't critique others choices all the time. This is not other vehicle forums where every thread is a ******* match because of the people who choose to go too far to prove their point or theory. Don't take this the wrong way.

Hydro... Please don't think I'm throwing you under the bus. My opinnion is this.. I do not feel idiabuse is pushing the Amsoil or the bypass down anyones throat here. Reading that I originally posted about I would feel I'm the one asking the question about why we all are not running a bypass filter.. Can it hurt something in the engine... Nope... If installed correctly will it help anything in the engine... Of course it will. Is the average person able to install it correctly.. I hope so. I read your posts about the idea that a bypass system is just another possibility for engine failure "IF" and thats the biggest little word in the world. If a hose broke and you lost all the engine oil. Well thats easily solved by running the same oil lines that Banks does on ALL of their idi turbo supplys. AN fitting on both ends.. There. Your well thought out oil loss issue solved. Clearly this is an internet forum where opinnions rule the waves. The interesting thing about oil is it never wears out. It just gets dirty because its supposed to carry away the dirt and cool the parts besides lube them. Actually water is the only thing on earth that can't be ruined by use. Can you burn it... Nope. It just turns to steam and comes back clean as day one. Everything else is used up when its used. Oil becomes carbon and soot.. Gas becomes all kinds of crap in the air we breath.. Coal.. Well lets not go there. Nuclear is clean but the waste rods will need to be cooled for at least 8 years. Most times its closer to 10 years in the spent fuel pools. Then its goes into dry cast storage containers where it will maintain 500 degrees for 10,000 years. I worked with the nuclear field for a few years.... I may not know everything.. But I know something about alot of things. Its my opinnion we should be running a bypass filter on our idi engines. Nobody is making any new blocks. Look at the chevy blocks industry that sprang up... You can get any block in the after market thats better built than the oem blocks. Thats a good thing too...

tractorman86

Reaction score
not to take sides but gary and javier are correct, the bypass systems are better for your engine, thats not to say that these engines won't go 5-600k miles without one because they can and have so you are also correct there. but i also haven't seen javier "pushing amsoil" in this thread, just stating facts that bypass systems are an exelent way to combat oil wear and lessen the need for unnessesary oil purchase. now lets not turn this thread into something it dosen't need to be.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
This thread is not headed to the locked closed thread. I feel we have all voiced opinnions here in a cicil manner. I take no offence to others opinnions here or most any other place. Agreeing to disagree is what makes this the best forum on the web. I do my best to back up what I post.. If I have nothing to back it up I post just that. It gets expensive trying to test everything that comes along. My plan is to plumb in thehigh pressure oil feed line with a braided staniless steel line just like what Banks sells for their turbo oil feeds. It has the AN fittings on it. So that will handle any pressure posible issues. Then the return is still up in the air but I may just use the same braided lines there too. Its not needed but it sure will be ok to use it. Both of my trans lines are braided stainless steel 3/8 line so why not make the bypass filter the same thing. Kind of a set it and forget it feeling. Frantz offers a bypass filter that holds two or three rolls of paper too. Some time way back I saw a bypass filter for big rigs that held two rolls of paper towels. I didn't feel it would work for us because the paper towels I have used are not a tight wrap roll like the toilet tissue is.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Now thats a setup I would not mind having what so ever. I'd love a canister setup like this.;Sweet

As a matter of fact there are many available BY Pass setups that would be wonderful to have.

I have hopes and goals of installing one myself.

If these filter setups where so bad for vehicles it would make me wonder why the actually are still available. It's not like you see advertisements on TV for them every second commercial like Tampons and Maxi Pads!

I think it's time we realize that this is just another potential addition to a fine machine.

If FACTORY was good enough, why would we need aftermarket auto trans coolers to replace the pathetic ones deemed OK by the manufacturer? If FACTORY was good enough why would we want to add in aftermarket gauges? If FACTORY was good enough why would we install better anything in any vehicle be it stereo, speakers, gauges, tyres, rims, brakes, synthetic oil, clutches....etc...etc....etc....

It all comes down to education and desire to improve the longevity or improve aspects of our rides. What one chooses to do compared to another does not diminish the choice it just reinforces that choice as an individual.

NUFF SAID!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
On the non tubo blocks any 1/8 inch plug is an oil galley. On the turbo blocks most any 1/4 inch plug is a main oil galley. Top back of all engines has a feed too.

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Idiabuse, we understand you are trying to push for everyone to use amsoil products and bypass oil filtration systems. You have made your point very clear many other times before in different threads. Leave the people alone who choose not to use amsoil and I'm sure others would appreciate if you didn't critique others choices all the time. This is not other vehicle forums where every thread is a ******* match because of the people who choose to go too far to prove their point or theory. Don't take this the wrong way.

You must be registered for see images attach

ranto

Reaction score
Here is a couple pics of my engine that killed a cylinder from a collapsing lower rad hose.
I had 47,000 miles with no oil change.
The engine pictured had 120,000 miles that I drove it all together, who knows before 1999 before I owned it.

I think the pictures can be compared to many other pictures of engines with conventional fluids and short drain intervals.

These pictures show that even after 5 years and 47,000 miles of pure IDIABUSE that the bypass system kept any sediment from settling on my engine causing wear.
Now with that being said The engine did fail but not from lack of lubrication or lack of filtration.

Why change the oil so often if you just may kill the engine some other way? One way to look at it.

Javier

Thanks for the great info
Just wanna know if the amsoil bypass oil filter also use toilet paper as filter element ?
Another question can anybody tell me how to install the Franz oil filter in mercedes om617/om616 engine??

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Ranto. I'm not sure what filter the Amsoil uses but I feel its not toilet paper rolls. As for installing a Frantz bypass filter on a Mercedes engine I can only guess. but find an oil source and run a braided AN fitting line from that to the filter. then run the return line to any place you can find where the oil will flow back by gravity. I'm not familiar with the oiling system on a Mercedes engine so I can't tell you ."do this or that". We do have members here that drive and maintain these fine motorcars too.

PackRat239

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My opinion is they dont / cant work. Simple test. Go dunk your roll of tp in the toilet, put a drop or two of food coloring on the roll inside where the tube is or was. see how long it takes for the color to reach the outside of the roll. Never? Once the paper is wet, it wont pass much or absorb much more til it dries. Even worse with oil which is thicker. Old time JC Whitney marketing at its best.

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AMSOIL is a partner with DONALDSON filtration, all the AMSOIL Oil/Air filters have media made by DONALDSON
One of the leaders in synthetic Nano Fiber production of filters.
A major benefit in using AMSOIL for filtration is the price break you get, for example the AMSOIL EAO99 filter for our trucks runs me about $24 if I source out the DONALDSON equivalent filter it will cost me $48 yet both filters are identical.

As of today I am very satisfied I have chosen a company that keeps me and my old truck on the road.
With my 7.3 now a full year since a full rebuild and now around 25,000 miles on the engine, I am about 5,000
miles into my second oil change and the MPG is over 20mpg all city driving, using wmo as fuel.

when I can afford clean diesel I get over 25mpg city driving, love to take a road trip but not for another 6 months at least, I have a huge moving job to do with my truck.

Yes I have an Obsolete AMSOIL bypass filter I am using at the moment, I plan on adding a dual bypass filtration on my truck to extend the miles between oil changes because the use of WMO as fuel contaminates the sump oil quickly, my initial oil change only lasted me 20,000 miles before I was flagged with excessive additive and wear metals.

So the experiment continues and the price to experiment is cheaper than 5,000 mile oil changes any day.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Packrat. Your conclusion that the Frantz bypass filters are JC Whipmee type of deal is not completely correct. Wetting a roll of toilet paper in the toilet is not how the filters function. The oil flows up thru the center of the filters. Then it flows down the thickness of the roll till it flows back to the engine by gravity. Now of course the center cardboard liner has been removed before the roll in installed in the filter can. The Frantz filter works like any other filter on the market be it bypass or Amsoil. The oil flows thru the filter media from top to bottom . In the case of the Frantz it flows directly from the top of the media down thru the roll and gravity flows back to the engine oil pan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Staff online