Found out why my truck is so amemic... and I feel dumb!

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
I tig weld a lot and have an unlimited access to sanitary tubing so I'm thinking about relocating my battery and running some 3.5" tubing from the trubo over to the BHAF. It will be awhile before I can get started, but I'll post up results.

I think you have the wrong air filter. The ATS 088 kit should use the same filter as a 1993 Ford Mustang with a 302 V8. The 4 cyl air filter is killing the power for sure.

You got my hopes up because I actually like having the filter in a box. Anyway I called up Napa just now, and no luck. The filter I have fits many Ford cars from 4cyl Tempo's to V8 Mustangs. The nice thing is that it's only $6!

sassyrel

Reaction score
i fail to see,the restrictive part--my 94 turbo,has the stock filter---boost up,ats update,pump cranked up--and with posi rear--i can smoke the tires thru first and second. if you look at a independent test site for air filter flow--the k&n is only 2% better than stock--and the sob ate the rings out of my truck in less than 8,000 miles--go ahead and use a k&n trash---the old site--many people got warned about them--and just try and get them pukes to warrany your engine--fat chance--they have more excuses than carter had liver pills----

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
People who hate the K&N for whatever reason are usually very vocal about it. I don't suppose I'd blame them, but just the same I've always had really good results with them.

VanBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you have the wrong air filter. The ATS 088 kit should use the same filter as a 1993 Ford Mustang with a 302 V8. The 4 cyl air filter is killing the power for sure. I too hate the K&N filters but hear the oiled gauze filters really flow a lot more air than the paper version. I currently have an SB filter installed and I picked up a bit of boost from it. It could still be as risky for the turbo I guess so it will be interesting to see what oil analysis shows when I get around to sampling.

That's a nice bit of info....

I'm not sure what filter my buddy bought, but I cross referenced it via the KN part number and he bought a regular one while cleaned it. Said he didn't notice any difference. And he has an ATS turbo on his 93. It makes good power, good boost.....

sootman73

Reaction score
i haven't ever tried a K&N because i dont want to order one and really dont want to pay that much, well that and i've forgotten about the air filter repeatedly..... to kill a motor in 8000 just because of the filter i dont know about that....

more than likely there was poor seating of the filter or something small that you'd never notice. also depends on where you drive, how you drive, and your intake setup. i think i will try one here eventually but sassy i agree with you in that i dont see what is that restrictive.... :dunno i run a stock filter and can see 15psi boost and egts at 1100. and not be pouring black smoke at WOT(well once the turbo spools)

VanBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i haven't ever tried a K&N because i dont want to order one and really dont want to pay that much, well that and i've forgotten about the air filter repeatedly..... to kill a motor in 8000 just because of the filter i dont know about that....

more than likely there was poor seating of the filter or something small that you'd never notice. also depends on where you drive, how you drive, and your intake setup. i think i will try one here eventually but sassy i agree with you in that i dont see what is that restrictive.... :dunno i run a stock filter and can see 15psi boost and egts at 1100. and not be pouring black smoke at WOT(well once the turbo spools)

Well, I put a K&N on my 300 I6 Ford gasser..... and I drive in the field where there is dust! Fine dust. Any how, by the time I check it, the dust had mixed w/ the oil inside the filter and bonded with it. So, that is why it was dusty on the inside of the filter. Seating area was clean, so sealing was not an issue. I usually check the filter twice a year, but I guess the dust was a bit worse that year then most. Not saying that it was the cause of damage to the engine. It's the one in my sig. and has about 150- 160,000 miles. But a whole lot of idling time in the field....

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
How much are you guys paying for paper filters? The paper/foam fram filter I currently use costs $30. We started carrying wix so I am gonna see if they have a filter for my truck now.

Jake S.

clueless...
Reaction score
To the OP:
What style air cleaner do you have? A rectangle air filter or a square one? If you look at my pic gallery, I cut it in half but anyway, that was the style that came on my truck. I would put a new filter in and it would peg the filter minder at 20 inches of Hg. I bought a newer style off ebay that the filter is twice as big. It made a big difference. I will take a pic of the newer one someday...

VanBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The one my buddy got for his ATS is square. It was less then $20.00 at Autozone.....

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
People who hate the K&N for whatever reason are usually very vocal about it. I don't suppose I'd blame them, but just the same I've always had really good results with them.

Me too. Ran one on the '86 F250 6.9 Turbo, moved that setup onto the '85 F350 6.9 Turbo, and running on in the Excursion. No issues yet. ;Sweet

BTW, Bend, OR was really dusty in the summer so the filter was faced with a lot of abuse and held up just fine. A person just has to keep them clean and oiled.

I bought the K&N for the Excursion because a Fram paper filter was $25.99 and the K&N was $52. I could have a "lifetime" filter for the cost of 2 "throw-aways", so it was better to just spend more for something that will last much longer. Increased my mileage about 1.5 mpg too, so with the V10 it will pay for it's self fairly fast.

Last edited:

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
I'm running an AEM DryFlo filter on my brown truck, which is a paper element type filter and so far I've been very happy with it.

You must be registered for see images attach

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
I checked out the wix filter, only $22.99. The weird thing is that it's similar to the fram except that the paper and foam are separated. It makes it seem like the foam part is optional where as the fram, the paper and foam are already glued together. I might grab the wix and see how it does without the foam part, 99% of my driving is street so filters typically last me quite awhile.

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
To the OP:
What style air cleaner do you have? A rectangle air filter or a square one?

I have the square one and I picked it up from NAPA for ~$6.

I noticed your round housing that is really cool I have never seen one before. Is that the 088 turbo? I'm just assuming that all snail shell turbo's are the 088's so maybe ATS offered the round one later on because it flows better? I don't know I'm just thinking out loud...

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There actually are two non wastegated turbochargers from ATS, the 088 and the 085. Not real sure how to tell the difference. Pretty sure mine is the 088 though. The roundish air cleaners came on the waste gated 093 and Ford Factory turbos as far as I can remember.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There actually are two non wastegated turbochargers from ATS, the 088 and the 085. Not real sure how to tell the difference. Pretty sure mine is the 088 though. The roundish air cleaners came on the waste gated 093 and Ford Factory turbos as far as I can remember.

Easiest way to tell is if the "original" air cleaner's on it. The 085 turbo has a rectangular air cleaner, like the first pic I have attached. The 088 turbo has a square air cleaner, like in the second pic.

I don't have a picture of the 085's exhaust casing, but just for the record, the third picture's what the 088 exhaust casing "snail" looks like...my buddy was test-fitting the turbo on the intake manifold to see how everything lined up...

Attachments

• ATS 085 turbo.jpg
    ATS 085 turbo.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 14
  • truck79.jpg
    truck79.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 14
  • truck68.jpg
    truck68.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 18

Latest posts

Forum statistics