Found out why my truck is so amemic... and I feel dumb!

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
Here's my story. So I recently came back from the dark side because I've always had a soft spot for the IDI's and I needed 4 doors plus I prefer mechanically injected diesels. So I get this truck (in my sig) and it is everything I had dreamed of, but one thing really bugged me about it. Its completely NUTLESS!!! LOL :rotflmao I have driven high mileage N/A IDI's with about the same amount of power. I have fiddled with the fuel screw and all I could get was more smoke and heat, but no more power whatsoever. I feel bad for whoever paid money for that turbo system new because I honestly don't see any advantage other than maybe pulling in high elevation. I guess its a good thing for the overall reliability of the truck but dang.

Anyway today for laughs I pulled out my week old airfilter (which is small and flat and probably flows half what the stock round one does) completely. The old square ATS box is still in place, just no filter now. And I went for a burn down a street near my house....

Holy crap! :love::yell::eek::hail YEAH!!! This thing scoots now! Smoke completely clears up at 2500 and I am confident I can turn the screw up even more and still have low EGT's. It sounds like a 747 under the hood and boost went from 6 to 10 psi now too. I think it is time for me to build a custom intake with a big cone filter now and ditch the box altogether :D

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it is time for me to build a custom intake with a big cone filter now and ditch the box altogether :D
You have my full attention :D ...do you know if a paper cone filter exists, or are you going the K&N route?

I've been wanting to open up my intake ever since I got my turbo, and once I get the intercooler installed on my truck, I may NEED to ditch the square box on my 088...but I really don't want a washable filter...

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Late model Fords have a cone type filter in a cylindrical holder. You could use one of those set-ups and just cut the restrictive cover off so you still have the part that latches under the clamp to keep the filter tight. A friend of mine did this to his new at the time 97-ish F150. It really woke that truck up. Filters are pretty good sized, fairly cheap, and available everywhere.
Travis..

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there is also a big clamp on paper filter that we used on the gpu's for aircraft power. They are a napa item IIRC.

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
I'm wondering if the old ATS housings being restrictive is old news or if it is the filter that I have... I just can't believe that it restricted flow that bad--maybe I'm using the wrong filter and need a thicker one :confused: When I went to get a filter for the ATS housing I didn't know what the part number was. My friend at NAPA helped me measure it and it turns out that same filter size is also a replacement for several Ford cars... Most of which had 4cyl engines cookoo

You have my full attention :D ...do you know if a paper cone filter exists, or are you going the K&N route?

I've been wanting to open up my intake ever since I got my turbo, and once I get the intercooler installed on my truck, I may NEED to ditch the square box on my 088...but I really don't want a washable filter...

I've never liked using K&N's on trucks I take offroad and this one sees the dirt a lot. I always ran the BHAF (big honkin air filter) that is popular with the Cummins crowd on most of the Dodges I've owned in the past. If I can find out how to fit one under the hood of the Ford I'll post some pics ;Sweet They are very large paper style filters.

Late model Fords have a cone type filter in a cylindrical holder. You could use one of those set-ups and just cut the restrictive cover off so you still have the part that latches under the clamp to keep the filter tight.

That's a good idea too. I'll have to get something figured out and report back :D

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
Here is the filter I would like to run... I don't remember the PN from NAPA, but it is the famous BHAF ;Sweet Should work very well on an IDI if it will fit. I may have to move some batteries around or move the washer/overflow tank

You must be registered for see images attach

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you have the wrong air filter. The ATS 088 kit should use the same filter as a 1993 Ford Mustang with a 302 V8. The 4 cyl air filter is killing the power for sure. I too hate the K&N filters but hear the oiled gauze filters really flow a lot more air than the paper version. I currently have an SB filter installed and I picked up a bit of boost from it. It could still be as risky for the turbo I guess so it will be interesting to see what oil analysis shows when I get around to sampling.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is the filter I would like to run... I don't remember the PN from NAPA, but it is the famous BHAF ;Sweet Should work very well on an IDI if it will fit. I may have to move some batteries around or move the washer/overflow tank

You must be registered for see images attach

IIRC this is exactly the Napa 6637 filter Justin mentioned.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
hard to tell but it look like both the batteries are on the same side there