Found my chuffing....

whitehorse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well after pulling the valve covers and having fun with the passenger side...:D I found my problem. The first rocker arm is loose and so is the push rod so it looks like the lifter is dead...what do yall think...no it didn't have soot on the back of the valve covers. It chuffed in the intake not the exhaust....

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
looks like a new set of lifters are in order, maybe a pushrod and a rocker?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Lifters and hopefully the cam lobe is ok. Be cautious what lifters you purchase. We can buy 2 different types of lifters. One type is the roller bearing roller lifter and the other is the bushing bearing roller lifter. Most will use the roller bearing roller lifter.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
What you will find on ebay is our roller lifters are used in many different engines. They fit the chevy 350 diesel and both the 6.2 or the 6.5. They also fit most all powerstroke engine too. So widen your search and ask questions of the seller if they are bushing or roller bearing. My bet is you have a bushing lifter that failed. In the beginning all the early 6.9 idi engines had the bushing roller lifters and they ended that after a few flat cam lobes from stuck rollers. Sealed power is a good brand.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Melling is a good set too. Just search ebay for idi for roller hydraulic lifters. You will find many sellers offering new and used. Russ and mentioned that we don't have to replace lifters when installing his typ4 cam.

whitehorse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you suggesting a cam gary?....:sly :D when I install the lifters is there a specific torque for the bolts holding the rocker on?