Found a Detroit in A Chevy CC Today

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Shoping the pick-a-part today I found a 4 cylinder Detroit with a supercharger on it in a chevy crewcab dually. Really nice clean installation done too. The motor mounts were clean and nicely made. I dought it had much horse power but really looked clean sitting in the engine bay....

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was that truck blue or light green by chance? All the 2 strokes have blowers on them, they make power every stroke so the numbers arent always a big deal..

Detroit Diesel= heap big smoke,no power.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was that truck blue or light green by chance? All the 2 strokes have blowers on them, they make power every stroke so the numbers arent always a big deal..

Detroit Diesel= heap big smoke,no power.
detroits are for guys with anger management issues;Sweet
you have to really be having a bad day and taking your agression on the throttle or you aren't making power out of the damn thing.:eek:

Rodney

Reaction score
They like to run away to.:dunno Dont know about that one but some of the bigger inline six ones do. Ive heard many storys of them taking off some how when they are pushed or moved. We had an injector stick on one at school it was stuck and kept reving up, i think we sucked the seals from the supercharger.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
detroits are for guys with anger management issues;Sweet
you have to really be having a bad day and taking your agression on the throttle or you aren't making power out of the damn thing.:eek:
I remember someone once saying that the best way to drive a truck with a Jimmy was to start out by slamming the door on your fingers. This way, you're good and mad at the truck :D

Never operated one on the road, but they make for good boat engines ;Sweet someday I want a Crown bus with a pancake'd 6-71 cookoo

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I remember someone once saying that the best way to drive a truck with a Jimmy was to start out by slamming the door on your fingers. This way, you're good and mad at the truck :D

Never operated one on the road, but they make for good boat engines ;Sweet someday I want a Crown bus with a pancake'd 6-71 cookoo

I drove them crown buses for many years, both five and ten speed. I have to say, if someone has never been around one or driven one, they are really missing out.

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have never driven a truck with a detroit but I have driven construction equipment and a tractor that had a detroit, and you gotta have a good pair of ear plugs or you will feel like you are going crazy after about 5 minutes. I remember an old roller that had a V6 detroit 6V-71 I think and it would vibrate the crap out of you before you even turned on the vibrator. They sound really good from a distance though.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I drove an old 1979 gmc brigadier with a 671 detroit backed with a 10 speed direct. It;s what i learned to drive on. The guy said to hold it to the floor until it stopped revving up, then go for another gear. I think they still have the truck today,,

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I drove an old 1979 gmc brigadier with a 671 detroit backed with a 10 speed direct. It;s what i learned to drive on. The guy said to hold it to the floor until it stopped revving up, then go for another gear. I think they still have the truck today,,

That is where they like to run, I have actually built 2 that didnt leak oil for over 2 years.

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
There is nothing like the sound of a two cycle diesel! My dad drove a Euclid dumptruck (way back in the day) with a V16 two stroke it actually had two roots style blowers in the engine valley ;Sweet

Anyway the 3-53, 4-53, 3-71's or 4-71's (can't remember the specific model) are said to have come in the 60's GMC's for a few years as a very rare option. I've actually seen quite a few of them and a couple also have a turbo along with the standard blower. There are no real records of it but I've talked to a few old timers that claim it was possible to get one that way on the lot. There are a few of these old trucks on Youtube, but I can't seem to find the right search cookoo

EDIT: Here ya go! These are swapped in, but pretty cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fS43WnFGWs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkqCOHCT1vY&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDJsxS2TyxI&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0o1o5W_f6o&feature=related

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online