Ford with a John Deere Diesel

RustyBolts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OMG yes! The TORQUE!!! We have a JD 4520 with the factory turbo'ed 404 weighing 13,100#, and we can take off in 8th (road) gear from a standstill. That's the same as in a pickup taking off with a load of 13,100# in a transmission gear of 3.16:1 with a 3.73 rear end behind that!

RustyBolts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the late '70s and early 80's my dad had a 4010 that he farmed most of the time, and also pulled quite a bit. When they got the tractor it had an M&W turbo on it. Shortly after they got it, they found a set of 4320 manifolds, and turbo, plus a 300cc pump (for pulling only) from Columbus Diesel. After melting the TO-4 AiResearch due to too much fire, while playing around one night, they went with a 3LM Schweitzer, and a timing adjustment. With that setup, the tractor made 500+ HP on stock internals, and no fire rings.
In it's de-tuned farming clothes (smaller pump) it went about it's day-to-day farming duties making 140 HP.
Talk about a testament to durability!

RustyBolts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, still searching for parts sources, and first and foremost, an engine.

averagef250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rusty, Building the adapter isn't all that complicated. A machinist worth a salt could make any engine adapter you could need. I would not consider myself a machinist as I don't put myself anywhere near the class of the men I consider good friends that are real machinists, but I could make any engine adapter and a custom flywheel with my Taiwan BP clone and 22" Mazak Lathe. An adapter isn't that hard to make. The alignment dowel alignment is critical, once you have that established you have atleast .005" of wiggle room for the rest of the holes, well within the limits of using a transfer punch and good machine practices.

Good luck with the swap. To drive on the road you're going want 3.55's with 31-33" tires.

averagef250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe I attempted to educate the uninformed of how a B series Cummins is not a "dodge" engine, not sure that constitutes name calling. Don't take offense to this, but your writings in this JD thread come off more thought out and more mature than the writings you had when you first found this site.

I think it's neat how you want to put a big JD in a pickup, could be a good result if you find a deal on an engine.

RustyBolts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, part of it comes from the fact that my dad worked for a JD dealership for 11 years, after farming with and working on them most of his life. We have a vast selection of true JD service manuals and other literature, which I have studied time and time again.
Because of this library, and owning/working on all the tractors in my sig, I can answer just about any question about any John Deere tractor you have up until the 55 series ceased production, but most of my knowledge is in 2 Cylinder, New Generation and Generation II tractors.
If anybody doesn't believe me, you're more than welcome to challenge/test my knowledge.

RustyBolts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tranny Hunt + Update

I think we finally have a lead on a 466-T engine.:D
Still searching for a transmission. Tried looking for a Clark 280VO with no luck. We're looking for something with a single countershaft so it will fit underneath nicely, and also something with an overdrive top gear. Number of speeds is a non issue.
Any suggestions?:dunno

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Look up a Spicer 7-speed. I saw one once mated to a 6BT cummins sitting on a shop floor. It was apparently a takeout from a wrecked Freightliner FL70.

RustyBolts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe I attempted to educate the uninformed of how a B series Cummins is not a "dodge" engine, not sure that constitutes name calling. Don't take offense to this, but your writings in this JD thread come off more thought out and more mature than the writings you had when you first found this site.

I think it's neat how you want to put a big JD in a pickup, could be a good result if you find a deal on an engine.

I apologize for the immature BS I've posted at times, and as you might've noticed, I deleted the smart-@$$ comment I made previously in this thread.
Once again, thanks for the complements, and good juju.
BTW, I didn't take offense to what you said about this stuff sounding more thought out than before. Now all I want to do is go back and delete all my stupid ramblings, and I might, unless somebody out there doesn't want me to. It was a stupid, immature, poorly planned and selfish way of introducing myself to the OB family.

Sorry Guys:sorry::cry:

Captain Morgan

Pipeline Mechanic
Reaction score

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As far as overdrive medium duty trannies, like stated Spicer's ESO66-7b 7 speed or an Eaton fuller FSO 8406 6 speed would be a good match.

I keep looking for a decent price on one of the two above trannies for my DT466 project as well.

Heath

bigoilburner19

Reaction score
so what everyone else does it heck I even do it sometimes we all need to blow off steam dont worry about it man maybe u were mad and said it but hey dude its fine dont worry about it and i havnt been on much how is the john deere truck comin?