Ford with a John Deere Diesel

RustyBolts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To me, those look like JD Pattern Bellhousings on the engines themselves, then the power unit clutch assembly built from that. SAE bellhousing patterns, IIRC, are all circular, and the JD pattern is a screwed up rectangular-like pattern.

Last edited:

VanBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To me, those look like JD Pattern Bellhousings on the engines themselves, then the power unit clutch assembly built from that. SAE bellhousing patterns, IIRC, are all circular, and the JD pattern is a screwed up rectangular-like pattern.

I looked at that pic a bit closer and managed to look at my 3020. That 404 engine set up is the same as on my 3020. The starter is mounted on a flange on the engine and to that, the tranny is bolted (bell on tranny).

Looking at the picture w/ the PTO set up, it is similar to the engine setup on a UV345 International power unit I have. The 345 V8 has it's own bolt pattern, but an adapter was bolted to it to bolt the PTO unit to.

On the picture, the adapter has that mounting pad w/ 4 holes on it. Now, if the adapter is an SAE standard (goes on engine HP if I recall), it might just be easier to mount a transmission to the SAE adapter then trying to make one that bolts up to the Deere engine directly.

A buddy back in the day built adapters to mount an on the road 3208 Cat to a GM Turbo 400 tranny. He was building his own mini semi.... Any how, I hear that at the time, no one else built those adapters, but now (well, back in the early 80's) people started....

If those PTO units are SAE, then it's quite possible there is an adapter out there to mount a non standard transmission to it. Unless you choose something like a 5 speed medium duty truck (ie Clark tranny that was put behind a diesel using SAE housing) and use a divorced transfer case.

Last edited:

RustyBolts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, y'all. Got another question to ponder. Dad and I have pretty well decided to go sith a single countershaft commercial truck transmission and a divorced T-Case for longevity's sake.
What are some good Single Countershaft trannys? I hear the Clark 285 is good 'un. Any other suggestions?

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go for the Clark 280VO. Kinda hard to come by but first is creeper and fifth is overdrive. I used to have one in my jeep. They were mainly found in school buses

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RustyBolts, hit up CompD, there's a guy from upstate NY that has a JD 466 in an 80-86 Ford that he uses for sledpulling. I don't remember the specs on it, but it does exist, and I guess does pretty good too. I can't for the life of me think of his screenname, but read through the pulling truck pics thread and you should come across it.

Bobus

Powerstroked
Reaction score
I've got a John Deere 4024 Powertech Turbo Diesel off a Sullair 185CFM Air Compressor that i want to stick into a '59 willys Jeep

foxman

foxman
Reaction score
Rustybolts:
Try looking at shadetreemechanic.com in Byron, Georgia. These guys have done several F150 with Deere engines and Perkins engins. I have personally seen two of their conversions. They say they are getting 60 to 65 MPG from these trucks. They have available a book describing step by step and exactly which parts and where to find them. Extremely interesting and practical swap.
Foxman

RustyBolts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rustybolts:
Try looking at shadetreemechanic.com in Byron, Georgia. These guys have done several F150 with Deere engines and Perkins engins. I have personally seen two of their conversions. They say they are getting 60 to 65 MPG from these trucks. They have available a book describing step by step and exactly which parts and where to find them. Extremely interesting and practical swap.
Foxman

I've already been in contact with them, and yes, they are interesting and fuel efficient, but I want the Tim Allen Special with this truck. 6 CYL John Deere (preferably a 466) lots of boost, smoke, and power in a street truck.

bigoilburner19

Reaction score
hey rusty bolts how did u put that detroit in the chevy and does it leak oil like a sive and how much did it cost to do the whole install for it

RustyBolts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey rusty bolts how did u put that detroit in the chevy and does it leak oil like a sive and how much did it cost to do the whole install for it
Well, first off, My grandpa bought the truck from a Detroit Diesel Allison service center in Wichita Kansas, who did the conversion, and used it as a service truck for a few years. The truck has sat for several years, is currently not running, and needs serious refurbishment (hence "Restoration Project"). It, and Grandpa's 1975 Freightliner CabOver with an 8V53, are the cleanest, dryest, Drip-O-Lator's you'll ever see due to religious maintenence when in service. If you have any more questions, send me a PM.

Captain Morgan

Pipeline Mechanic
Reaction score
Rusty,

If you get to the point you have an SAE pattern to work with, I can can fix you up
with adapters and sizing charts to go any which way you want. You are on to something
with the Clark Trans too. I do a lot of repowers and end up with odd ball stuff.

Feel free to email me if you need too.

RustyBolts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anybody on here have a chart with SAE bellhousing pattern numbers and their corresopnding dimensions?

Buckin Around

Reaction score
it can be done, SAE bell housing and all.... with a little ingenuity and and a lot of time, not to mention a plasma cutter and a body lift, it can be done,;Sweet As for longevity and "how much power" these engine are capable of mine is running around 800HP with an inline A pump @550CC's of fuel @ 4500RPM for the last 3 years, stock crank, stock rods, stock pistons ans liners, stock head, stock head bolts, stock intake and exhaust manifolds, just about stock everything, the rotating assembly was balanced when i put it together and the only upgrade was the REI (Riverside Engine) Rod Bolts. These Engines are Tough SOB's!!!! as for cooling... the Stock 6.9L radiator is more than enough.. i run no fans while pulling and it never even comes close to overheating... I wish mine was a little more streetable because it would be fun as hell, its always fun impressing your freinds doing 5th gear burnouts with a 5 speed trans and dual wheels as far as you want to go. the torque on these things is truly unbelievable!!!:sly

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726